Which freeze plug to remove for engine block heater?

slavrenz

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
Hey guys,

So I'm getting an OEM block heater for my car, and I know that it goes in one of the freeze plugs, but does anyone know which one? Pics would be extremely helpful, along with any tips on how to install it.

Thanks

bump for the cold ass weather outside right now. 0 degrees, 5 inches of snow and counting!

I would guess one of these. Go for the one that easiest to get at.

block.png

How sure are you? I've heard from others that the plug is on the other side of the block, so I'm not sure what to think.

In my experience freeze plugs in the block are often the same diameter. If thats the case its all about access. Does it come with installation instructions?

In my experience freeze plugs in the block are often the same diameter. If thats the case its all about access. Does it come with installation instructions?

I don't know. I am buying it from Maxx Mazda, but I'm not sure if it includes the instructions.

I need help with this ASAP, folks. So I got underneath my car the other day to try and install the engine block heater (the person who sold it to me says it goes in the freeze plug above the oil filter), and I can barely get my hand up there, let alone a chisel to pop out the freeze plug.

Does anyone have a copy of the actual installation instructions for one of these? Or perhaps could clue me in on how to get this thing installed? If I don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'm just gonna take it to a garage and let them deal with it.

Hey, when i get a chance i'll take a look at mine to see where it is installed. My block heater came installed by the dealer when i bought the car back in 03.

It's installed on the back of the engine, towards the front of the block. (#1 cylinder.) All the dealers installed them without having to remove anything but the oil filter. Pull the filter off, bang out the old plug, and install the block heater in it's place and tighten down. LMK if you need more help.

It's installed on the back of the engine, towards the front of the block. (#1 cylinder.) All the dealers installed them without having to remove anything but the oil filter. Pull the filter off, bang out the old plug, and install the block heater in it's place and tighten down. LMK if you need more help.

Thanks - it was really just a case of me freezing my ass off out in my garage, and not seeing any easy way to tackle it (I debated taking the oil filter off, but I didn't have any oil in case I lost some in the process). I ended up just taking it to a garage, and they did it for $30. No biggie.

But now that it's in, holy crap does that car warm up fast. Here's to instant heat and better gas mileage!

Thanks - it was really just a case of me freezing my ass off out in my garage, and not seeing any easy way to tackle it (I debated taking the oil filter off, but I didn't have any oil in case I lost some in the process). I ended up just taking it to a garage, and they did it for $30. No biggie.

But now that it's in, holy crap does that car warm up fast. Here's to instant heat and better gas mileage!

Wish I had known you could still get that block heater in The U.S. They are unavailable in Canada. I had to get a heater that goes in the bottom Rad hose.

Pat.

Better gas mileage by not having to have your car sit and warm up?

Wish I had known you could still get that block heater in The U.S. They are unavailable in Canada. I had to get a heater that goes in the bottom Rad hose.

Pat.

He bought it from me. My car came with one from the dealer.

Glad you got it sorted out Steve.

Hey slavrenz, any idea how much power that block heater draws? I'm curious about the operating cost of a block heater and whether it's worth it.

Hey slavrenz, any idea how much power that block heater draws? I'm curious about the operating cost of a block heater and whether it's worth it.

First of all, ironic that you should ask that given your username...

Second of all, wow. Really? How is that even a concern???

First of all, ironic that you should ask that given your username...

Second of all, wow. Really? How is that even a concern???

Yeah, I can tell you that if you have to ask whether or not the cost justified, you probably don't need one.

No, I don't need one, was just curious about its power draw. So, if it's plugged in overnight for 10 hours, it'll draw about 4kWh which is (at $0.20 per kWh) about $0.80 per day. Not too shabby.

Back