Will crank, no start.

So I was driving my 1994 Mazda Protege(which I had for only a few weeks at this point) home from school one day and then the engine stalls and wouldn't turn on again.

I checked the fuel pump, replaced the fuel filter and everything is working there. However I am getting no spark from the spark plugs. I used a multimeter on the ignition coil both primary and secondary are fine. I checked the fuse box next to the ignition coil and everything seemed to be checking out there. So then after that point I decided to check the distributor cap, but it had almost no wear and seemed new.

Now the interesting part is when I plugged all the wires back into the distributor, the engine just fired up! So I thought "Cool its working now!" Later I got it to start up a second time and started to back the car out of the garage but then it stalled and wouldn't start, just like in the beginning...

The wires from the coil to the cap and to sparkplugs look all new but im kind of suspicious if the previous owner bought the right kind... Maybe they aren't making good contact inside the coil?

I've also read around and saw that I may need a whole new distributor because of a bad crankshaft position sensor. Before I go ahead and buy one I want to make sure that is what the problem is coming from.

Thanks in advance! (2thumbs)

I've isolated the problem down to the ignition coil. I've already check the resistance and its fine, but no power is coming from it. However the plug that supplies power to the coil has power. So I know power is going into the ignition coil but not coming out, why?

Check the ignitor. It is a small mitsubishi labelled part bolted to the bracket the coil is on. When they fail they do exactly when your car is doing.

-Derrick

There should be bat power into coil, and the computer will ground the other side of the coil, these cars have tons of probs with the dizzy, and with the ECT sensor. They also will give you the stalling prob. I had that with my Prot at 206K when I just bought it. I changed the coil, ect sensor, and took the dizzy apart and cleaned it all. It had oil on the inside, i think ill need a new one some time. Got 220k on it now.

NEver had that problem. You can get an upgraded MSd blaster 2 coiol for a little better spark. Shouldnt be a crank position sensor that i rember since you are running a DIST to do the firing. BUt the seal for the Dist has been known to leak also.

Got my car fixed by a friend who is a mechanic. All he had to do was replace the distributor and now everything is running fine!

That's VERY strange, I am aware that you have already concluded this chat however I have an old 1995 Mazda 1.8se Astina which I recently bought I have been looking everywhere and researching the car, I have tested every wire coming from the ECU to the relevant components and have found no fault.

When I got the car I drove without a problem at all, I took it to a Panelbeater respray only on the outside of the vehicle (same color), the car did not have a fan relay and he connected a posetive wire straight from the battery to power both fans. The next day when I came to visit, the vehicle seemed normal however the engine cranked and did not start, I thought there was a problem with the Immobiliser and had it removed, same problem. I took it to a place called GT motors, they put it on a pc and stated that it could be numerous problems as small as a burnt fuse to the PC box. Since then I have not replaced anything.

What could the fault be? Please Please Please Please help??

Back