Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulling to the right. not alignment...

2003 Protege5, 1992 Miata

pulling to the right. not alignment...

hey all

ive noticed for a bit that my car has been pulling to the right, especially noticable when on the highway. when the wheel was held straight the car would pull to the right even more. also when i had a friends wheels on my car, the drivers side front wore real weird after having them on for about 1-2k miles.

so today i went in for an alignment, they did all 4 wheels. not a big adjustment apparently since most things were fairly straight they said. when steering wheel is held straight the car goes straight but will still pull kinda hard to the right, especially while accelerating.

anyone elses car pull when accelerating?

i have a printout of the previous and current specs on the car which i can try to scan in and post later on. or ill snap a picture of it

same same

i have his same problem but to the left, if i dont hold the wheel at a slight angle it will just pull by itself.

interested in this

HID Guru

2002 Mazda Protege5

Rotate your tires then go from there. Your tires could be worn unevenly.

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by matt v View Post
    rotate your tires then go from there. Your tires could be worn unevenly.
    +1. Switch your front tires to see if the pull follows the tire.

Registered Member

I had the same prob and it still pulls to the right a bit. I will be fixing it sometime soon. However, before alignment, I would suggest looking at the struts caster and camber for any bents or damage. If you dont look at this and do the alignment, you'll have to duplicate the alignment job and that's more $$ out the door.

Registered Member pasadena_commut's Avatar

Protege5 2003

Quote Originally Posted by the_mgroove View Post
    However, before alignment, I would suggest looking at the struts caster and camber for any bents or damage.
    That sentence is bent and damaged. Please straighten it so that we can understand what you meant.

Registered Member

2002 Protege5

Are you sure it isn't just torque steer? I've never really noticed a pull from the anemic 2 liter, but have never really taken my hands off the wheel while accelerating.
    02 Protege5 - Vivid Yellow - 230K mi
    flywheel, clutch, UR pulley, Injen, OBX, MagnaFlow, PIAA fogs, Jensen head, sub, & 6x9s. On my 7th Mazda!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasadena_commut View Post
    That sentence is bent and damaged. Please straighten it so that we can understand what you meant.
    oops. that's strut caster and camber.

could be just torque steer still. i know there was some odd wear on the one tire of my friends since he had i guess to say a "standard" type tire (rails running all way around) where i have kinda an "arrow head" treat so its harder to tell wear.

forgive me for my tire terminology, hehe.

here are pics of my before and after specs on the alignment, if it means anything to anyone to help with this.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I have the exact same problem.. pulls to the right. I took it in for an alignment and it still did it. but when i got new tires they said my rim was bent beyond belief and i asked them could that make my car pull and they said yes. But i just dont have the money right now to buy new rims.

2011 Mazda 3i Touring

Quote Originally Posted by jr10000 View Post
    I have the exact same problem.. pulls to the right. I took it in for an alignment and it still did it. but when i got new tires they said my rim was bent beyond belief and i asked them could that make my car pull and they said yes. But i just dont have the money right now to buy new rims.

I had this problem as well. I replaced the bad rims (1 really bad, 1 slight) and the problem was gone.

Registered Member

Whoever did your alignment is awful.
    Anyways, I've heard a lot of problems about the p5 pulling to the right.
    Highway pulling isn't torque steer btw, you would know if it was haha it's awful!
    Rumor has it there was a bulletin out to the dealers about ways to fix the pulling issue, but I can't say if that's your issue or not. I'd start with crossing the front tires.

the alignment specs are really off now? town fair tire did it, a tire chain throughout ct, ny, ma, ri, and nh. ive got a 30 day warranty on it if i want them to redo it.
    i will try rotating. maybe i can have them check to see if any rims are bent, if they will do it for free.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda 3i 4 dr Touring Value Edition

Items For Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by reut1 View Post
    the alignment specs are really off now? town fair tire did it, a tire chain throughout ct, ny, ma, ri, and nh. ive got a 30 day warranty on it if i want them to redo it.
    i will try rotating. maybe i can have them check to see if any rims are bent, if they will do it for free.
    I don't see where the alignment specs are off. The before and after read outs are all within the shop manual specifications.

It would be better if the front and rear camber side to side reading are closer. A small camber change can be made by rotating the upper strut mounts but not enough to help. It's sometimes possible to change camber by loosening the lower strut mounts with the wheel off the floor and allow the assembly to shift (the bolt holes have a little play) and retighten. That usually will not correct a pull, it's more for tire wear.

I have experienced steering pull on some other cars and it's usually the tires. The easy check for that is to switch the tires from side to side as has already been suggested two times. I don't think a bent wheel will normally cause a pull it will usually cause a wobble and perhaps vibration or steering shake.

Clifton

kind of sucks that i paid to find out the alignment really wasnt off but its alright. paid for a front wheel alignment and i got an all around one. i cant rotate the tires from side to side due to being unidirectional but i will change the front to back later on to see.

there is steering shake, not a ton but its noticable. ill try to get my wheels checked out. i gave one of my old mismatching ones to someone and he said it was bent when he got it balanced so i dont doubt that others are like that. maybe new wheels in the spring instead of lowering the car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast