Cold start at 32F, no crank 1st/2nd attempt but start?

Marik123

:
Mazda Protege 2000 LX 1.6L
This morning when I get ready for work, I put the key into the car and try to start it as usual. I hear a click and then the engine turn for 1 second and doesn't do anything. So I turn the key to off position and then try it again, I hear another click and the engine doesn't even turn. I thought it was a dead battery so I turn on the head lights and they seem to be bright as normal. I left the head lights on, put the key back in and attempt for another crank, then it started like normal. The car have almost 94000 miles on it and the battery, spark plugs, wire sets and serpentine belts were replace 1 year ago. I checked the battery connections and they seems to be good, no corrosion. Battery voltage read as 12.6v when engine off with a volt meter and upto 14.4v when the car is started. So what could be wrong here??

The other problem I have with this car is the engine hood seems to be little bit loose and cause rattling noise when the car is cold. Normally when you close down the hood, you can't move it unless you release it. But mine can move up and down little bit even at close. So what should I look for to fix that problem there? Thanks for your advise.

I had a jeep TJ 4.0l once and I drove it in water up to the shifter, and it started doing that. It ended up being the clutch safety switch that would not be telling the engine it was engaged when I was starting. I never fixed the problem I just pumped the clutch until it finally started. I sold it without fixing it so I don't know how the purchaser fixed it. Try pumping the clutch to see if thats what the problem is, I don't even know if mazda's have a clutch safety.

Back