Broken glove box latch: how to open glove box?

Coggle

:
Mazda, Protege, 2000 & 1997
First post here...Hi all...Hard to find 2000 Protege online PDF manual...stumbled on this Forum...GREAT!...
My owner's manual is securely locked in the glove box, of which the latch recently broke, so we can't get at it to see the fuse box diagram (another story).
Is there a way to pop the glove box door open without breaking anything else? Thanks!

What part of the latch broke? A pic would help best. If the key hole is there unlock it, if not then we would have to see what is left there to realese it. I can not get mione to stay shut. LOL

Broken latch

Thanks for responding! Latch LOOKS fine, but whatever piece that connects the latch handle to the release mechanism broke...the latch handle still is lightly spring-loaded so it returns to its normal resting spot...there's just no resistance to lifting it up beyond that light spring tension...I was hoping I could take a screwdriver or appropriately bent piece of heavy wire and poke it somehow from the front to release the glove box door...OR go the long way around the back and up/around to the back of the door, if I had a little inside knowedge to start.

Also, what is the fuse position to the rear defroster

Also, what is the fuse position and amps to the rear defroster in this 2000 Protege? (That is why I want to get the owner's manual from the glovebox)

Also, what is the fuse position and amps to the rear defroster in this 2000 Protege? (That is why I want to get the owner's manual from the glovebox)

A/C 15A - One below the top left

IGN switch -> 15A fuse -> Rear Window Defroster Relay -> Filaments

Check the A/C fuse first. If that's good, then check the ROOM fuse. It's also connected to the relay.

is it locked? tried sticking the key in it?
i know when i lock mine... it feels like how your explaining it

Youz guyz are great!

B, Thanks...I'll check out the fuses in daylight.

Eight, thanks...I started kicking myself, until I made certain that it actually does not have a lock to it...NO place for a key!!!

Yudkib, I AM thinking of somehow neatly cutting a hole from the outside bottom then put my hand up in to release the latch, unscrew (crowbar?) the mechanism and replace it. Guess I need one of those vibrating cutters being advertised on TV for Christmas.

Sorry for bringing up a dead post, but i have the same problem and i didn't want to make a whole new thread.

Did anybody ever figure out how to replace this? cause all my insurance/registration and whatnot is in my glovebox and it won't open. the handle's just really loose.

I have the same problem as described by coggle - but after a lot of pulling, the bottom part of the glovebox came out (or did it break out??) from the latches, and I could bend my hand and take out a couple of important papers. Could not continue further as i had to catch a flight. I shall try to unlock it from the inside once i get some time. If I get it done - I shall post updates.

I used a screw driver. I completely broke the larch off. Once off you can see how the original latch was opening the glove box. I stuck a small screw driver inside and pressed down on where the original latch would. Got it opened and replaced with new latch

Latest posts

Back