How do you replace the Protege Headlight bulb?

ARD208

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I have looked all around the web and have not found a simple tut. or even a video on how to replace the proteges low beam bulbs. I would think there would be a lot of guides out there due to the fact that these bulbs are a pain in the a** to replace.

Does anyone know of a good video or have pictures on how to install new low beam bulbs for a 2002 Mazda Protege ES?

I think the lo/hi beam bulbs on the protege are the same bulb. If that's the case, get back to me. It's pretty easy, i just need to know if we're talking about the same lamp.

exactly. I would keep the rubber protection on the socket. That s*** is a b**** to put back on.

You remove the metal clip by pushing in and down on the left side (that's if you're looking at the lamp standing in front of your grille). The clip should swing out.

It was a successful replacement! Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!

I have looked all around the web and have not found a simple tut. or even a video on how to replace the proteges low beam bulbs. I would think there would be a lot of guides out there due to the fact that these bulbs are a pain in the a** to replace.

Does anyone know of a good video or have pictures on how to install new low beam bulbs for a 2002 Mazda Protege ES?

I disagree. It takes me a little more than 30 seconds for me to switch out each headlight bulb. You can't get much easier than that!

I disagree. It takes me a little more than 30 seconds for me to switch out each headlight bulb. You can't get much easier than that!
I would agree that it is harder than say a 9005/9006 bulb, especially the first time, just because that metal retainer spring is STUPID.

Unfortunatly this car gives me many opportunities to perfect the task :(

For p5 (but some applies to y'all as welll....)
Use a screwdrive to pry apart the bulb and adapter. Remove rubber piece. Push clip in and then twist a little to one side. Pull bulb. Put adapter on new bulb. 'without touching new bulb install and put the metal clip on.
Swear at Mazda.
Repeat.

...until installed ;)

Ensure rubber gasket fits well and push connector back on.

s*** it is hard as crap if you have bigger hand the damn power steering and wwf reservoirs get in the way of the passenger side. i think i would rather remove the head light.

its only 4 bolts, but u have to take the bumper off so its def easier to just do it the normal way

mine is a ton easier since i took out my washer fluid reservoir :)

ok, so now a how-to remove wwf reservoir. I nearly smashed an hid bulb (in frustration) on my passenger side replacing a bad bulb yesterday. Not even sure I got it in right- do you need to give the bulb a little twist once you get that little tab set in the slot in the housing?

I've personally never replaced the bulbs but my hubby has gotten REAL good at doing it:) Thought I would save a few bucks a couple of weeks ago - Jiffy Lube would replace it $15.00.... BIG mistake! The a-holes took the retaining clip OFF, didn't have the right bulb in stock and after almost an hour (I s*** you not), they put the bulb in without putting the clip back and didn't bother to tell me! Well of course the minute it got dark enough to have to use my headlights you can definitely tell it's not aimed right so back I go to Jiffy Lube..... Long story short, I'm without a clip - the dealer doesn't sell them separately and I'm tired of trying to find one on my own and now I'm getting the runaround from J.Lube so looks like I'll be ordering a new headlight assembly courtesy of J.Lube.... unless someone has a clip they wouldn't mind parting with?

I've personally never replaced the bulbs but my hubby has gotten REAL good at doing it:) Thought I would save a few bucks a couple of weeks ago - Jiffy Lube would replace it $15.00.... BIG mistake! The a-holes took the retaining clip OFF, didn't have the right bulb in stock and after almost an hour (I s*** you not), they put the bulb in without putting the clip back and didn't bother to tell me! Well of course the minute it got dark enough to have to use my headlights you can definitely tell it's not aimed right so back I go to Jiffy Lube..... Long story short, I'm without a clip - the dealer doesn't sell them separately and I'm tired of trying to find one on my own and now I'm getting the runaround from J.Lube so looks like I'll be ordering a new headlight assembly courtesy of J.Lube.... unless someone has a clip they wouldn't mind parting with?

screw that... let them pay for a brand new one... tell em you want a refund for the services they screwed up, and at least a couple free oil changes for your trouble if they ever want your business again. if they put up a fight, mention that you're both an active member of an online car community, and an avid blogger.

s*** it is hard as crap if you have bigger hand the damn power steering and wwf reservoirs get in the way of the passenger side. i think i would rather remove the head light.

I dunno about you guys, but I have hands that are bigger than my wife's face :), and the first time I had to change a bulb on my Protege was in a Wal-Mart parking lot in a freaking blizzard. Even then, it only took me like a minute to get everything in and out.

"mention that you're both an active member of an online car community, and an avid blogger"

Hey thanx Wagonbacker9.... never would have thought of using my "pull" as a member of Mazdaforums - yet another perk of this wonderful community! Thanks for the great suggestion - will let you know how it all turns out!

the low beam bulb replacement was a pain, I tried about ten times to get that clip secured, finally it just went on. I'm not sure what I did differently.

got this from wikianswers
============
--remember not to touch new halogen bulbs with your bare hands. ---
--oil from you skin is not good for them --
--do not remove any screws, I did and it took 2 hours to fix it

I think this wins the prize for one of the most annoying headlight replacements I've ever tried. By the way, the high beam is simple, it just twists and pulls out. These directions are for the much more annoying low beams.

1) unplug the headlight. The (probably white) connector pulls straight back without any latch or clip. Wiggle it a little. Remember what orientation it was in. This will help later.

2) peel back the rubber gasket. It just slides on and off.

3) now see a strange little metal clip. Push on the looped part and slide it down a little. It should pop off. It's on a hinge, so pull it out of the way as far as possible.

4) now take the bulb out. There is a black connector base. Take it off the old bulb and put it on the new bulb...without touching the new bulb glass.

5) put the new bulb in. Use the same orientation the old bulb was in. The bottom (towards the ground) is shaped a little different.

6) replace the clip. yes this can be a pain. If it's a real pain you may not have the bulb in correctly.

7) replace the rubber gasket. Do the outside first. Press the inner part with a finger tip...running it around the new bulb to make sure it is all the way down and won't interfere with the connector.

8) replace the connector/wires.
===============

number 6 is the annoying step

hope this helps someone

Older thread I know, but I wanted to say thanks to 2XTURBO for his/her excellent instructions above, and to confirm that they worked perfectly on my 2002 Proteg LX using a type 9300 bulb (even successfully navigated "the clip" ;)).

I got the bulb for $5 from my local auto supply place and avoided the extra cost and risk of somebody else messing up the job (I prefer to mess things up myself).

Thanks to 2XTURBO and the forum!

I just finished the miserable job of replacing the PS low beam. What a pain in the ass. Here are the steps I took with some help from previous posts:
1. Pull plug from bulb + rubber cover
2. Mark top of socket w/white-out - helps orienting it in final step.
3. Unbolt Power Steering reservoir + tie back
4. Remove PS tire
5. Unscrew (no power driver) wheel splash guard (to access ww resevoir)
6. Under fender - unbolt WW resevoir and move neck to side.
7. Unclip light+bulb socket.
8. Replace bulb in socket.
9. Socket+Bulb back in and re-clip. Small mirror helps to orient. This sucks.
10. Push on rubber cover.
11. Push plug on bulb.

Good luck........

Latest posts

Back