Shop at EdgeAutosport.com to make your Mazda Go Fast AND Look Good!
Shop at EdgeAutosport.com to make your Mazda Go Fast AND Look Good!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you replace the Protege Headlight bulb?

02 Protege ES

2002 Mazda Protege ES

How do you replace the Protege Headlight bulb?

I have looked all around the web and have not found a simple tut. or even a video on how to replace the proteges low beam bulbs. I would think there would be a lot of guides out there due to the fact that these bulbs are a pain in the a** to replace.

Does anyone know of a good video or have pictures on how to install new low beam bulbs for a 2002 Mazda Protege ES?
    2002 Mazda Protege ES

Registered Member

I think the lo/hi beam bulbs on the protege are the same bulb. If that's the case, get back to me. It's pretty easy, i just need to know if we're talking about the same lamp.

Registered Member

exactly. I would keep the rubber protection on the socket. That shit is a bitch to put back on.

You remove the metal clip by pushing in and down on the left side (that's if you're looking at the lamp standing in front of your grille). The clip should swing out.

02 Protege ES

2002 Mazda Protege ES

It was a successful replacement! Thanks for the quick and helpful responses!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

HZ MP3

Headlight bulbs in the Performance section....

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by ARD208 View Post
    I have looked all around the web and have not found a simple tut. or even a video on how to replace the proteges low beam bulbs. I would think there would be a lot of guides out there due to the fact that these bulbs are a pain in the a** to replace.

Does anyone know of a good video or have pictures on how to install new low beam bulbs for a 2002 Mazda Protege ES?
    I disagree. It takes me a little more than 30 seconds for me to switch out each headlight bulb. You can't get much easier than that!

2004 'Hoe

Quote Originally Posted by slavrenz View Post
    I disagree. It takes me a little more than 30 seconds for me to switch out each headlight bulb. You can't get much easier than that!
    I would agree that it is harder than say a 9005/9006 bulb, especially the first time, just because that metal retainer spring is STUPID.

2003.5 MSP Titanium Grey #1421 - SOLD
    1994 Chevy Blazer 6.5TD - Traded
    2006 GTO Quicksilver Metallic LS2/M6 - 426hp/416tq - SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 - SOLD
    2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid hauler
    1999 Chevy Camaro - Toy

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

Unfortunatly this car gives me many opportunities to perfect the task

For p5 (but some applies to y'all as welll....)
    Use a screwdrive to pry apart the bulb and adapter. Remove rubber piece. Push clip in and then twist a little to one side. Pull bulb. Put adapter on new bulb. 'without touching new bulb install and put the metal clip on.
    Swear at Mazda.
    Repeat.

...until installed

Ensure rubber gasket fits well and push connector back on.
    I used to have a
    Black Mica Protege5
    Mods:
    MP3 ECU
    Hawk Pads
    OBX Header
    AWR Mounts
    Tokico Blues
    Eibach Pro Kit
    Underdrive Pulley
    Kartboy Bushings
    ThermoBlok Spacers
    Kumho ECSTA AST tires
    Fabricated Ground Wire Kit
    VTCS-Less Intake (Ported)
    Fabricated SRI w/ K&N Filter
    Fog lights on with parking lights

Audio:
    Kenwood Head Unit
    Kenwood Mono Amp
    Custom 10" Enclosures
    Boston Accoustic 1" Tweets
    Rockford/Fosgate Punch 50

Registered Member

how to remove headlight housing to replace bulb

2004 'Hoe

Quote Originally Posted by sheritarenee View Post
    how to remove headlight housing to replace bulb
    you don't need to.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $5

silver 08 ms3

shit it is hard as crap if you have bigger hand the damn power steering and wwf reservoirs get in the way of the passenger side. i think i would rather remove the head light.

Banned

Rust Bucket

its only 4 bolts, but u have to take the bumper off so its def easier to just do it the normal way

mine is a ton easier since i took out my washer fluid reservoir

I met Lerxst and Dirk!! wrkngmanByTor's Avatar

2003 Pro5 Ag

ok, so now a how-to remove wwf reservoir. I nearly smashed an hid bulb (in frustration) on my passenger side replacing a bad bulb yesterday. Not even sure I got it in right- do you need to give the bulb a little twist once you get that little tab set in the slot in the housing?
    2003.5 (p5silver) (upyours) mods: A/C auto-on disable..M6 Rear wiper..MSP radio pocket..SonyCDXGT610U HU..
    keyless entry-ignition on bypass..remote start..CX-7 antenna..DaveB brushed gauge rings..Teenda 6000k HIDs..black rear bumper valence..fuzzy black dice! Future mods: Tribute nozzles, tint, and if I ever find 'em, MP3 rims!

Debbi

Mazda Protege 5

I've personally never replaced the bulbs but my hubby has gotten REAL good at doing it Thought I would save a few bucks a couple of weeks ago - Jiffy Lube would replace it $15.00.... BIG mistake! The a-holes took the retaining clip OFF, didn't have the right bulb in stock and after almost an hour (I shit you not), they put the bulb in without putting the clip back and didn't bother to tell me! Well of course the minute it got dark enough to have to use my headlights you can definitely tell it's not aimed right so back I go to Jiffy Lube..... Long story short, I'm without a clip - the dealer doesn't sell them separately and I'm tired of trying to find one on my own and now I'm getting the runaround from J.Lube so looks like I'll be ordering a new headlight assembly courtesy of J.Lube.... unless someone has a clip they wouldn't mind parting with?

2004 'Hoe

Quote Originally Posted by debbi View Post
    I've personally never replaced the bulbs but my hubby has gotten REAL good at doing it Thought I would save a few bucks a couple of weeks ago - Jiffy Lube would replace it $15.00.... BIG mistake! The a-holes took the retaining clip OFF, didn't have the right bulb in stock and after almost an hour (I shit you not), they put the bulb in without putting the clip back and didn't bother to tell me! Well of course the minute it got dark enough to have to use my headlights you can definitely tell it's not aimed right so back I go to Jiffy Lube..... Long story short, I'm without a clip - the dealer doesn't sell them separately and I'm tired of trying to find one on my own and now I'm getting the runaround from J.Lube so looks like I'll be ordering a new headlight assembly courtesy of J.Lube.... unless someone has a clip they wouldn't mind parting with?
    screw that... let them pay for a brand new one... tell em you want a refund for the services they screwed up, and at least a couple free oil changes for your trouble if they ever want your business again. if they put up a fight, mention that you're both an active member of an online car community, and an avid blogger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast