Need help with 3 Smart Card keys, 2 of which don't work

We just bought a used 2008 GT, and the dealer gave me three smart keys:
Key 1) Brand new, recently coded, works perfectly
Key 2) Used, cracked plastics, only the buttons work (lock, unlock, tailgate), can't use the button on the door to unlock or start car
Key 3) Used, looks fine, doesn't seem to work at all.

I put a CR2025 into both Key 2 and Key 3 that shows 3 volts on my Fluke, so the issues with #2 & #3 don't seem to be power related. I'm guessing key #2 doesn't work because its physically damaged so the "smart" portion of the PCB is not working, only the buttons. As for Key 3 I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work with a good battery unless it's completely dead or just not programmed for my car.

I really want a 2nd fully functional key, are these covered under the warranty? I'd assume the broken one wouldn't be covered but would key 3 be covered since it just doesn't' work? I can't seem to find any reference to keys in any warranty info (not that I can find a detailed warranty description on the Mazda website anyway...)

If you bought it from a dealer, they should provide functioning keys with som type of warranty. I would go back to the dealer and tell them to get at least 2 of the keys working 100%. They should have a service departement with the instructions to program the key.

Otherwise I would get a refund for 2 x ~$400 plus the hour of labor cost to re-program them correctly.

I agree with SeCX-9.
Forget about three keys. You have to make sure you have TWO functioning keys first.
Making a 3rd is much cheaper than making a 2nd.
Programming a SmartKey is two-step process.
- program the buttons
- program the Smart functions (i.e. remote access w/o pressing buttons on remote)
Somehow, either
- the dealer was only able to program the buttons
- the SmartAccess function on the 2nd remote failed

Either way, try your best to get the dealer to give you a full-functioning 2nd key.
It will cost you upward of $300-400 to have a 2nd key.
Having a 3rd key is much cheaper since you can program it yourself.
Besides, you also need to make sure the metal keys inside the remote works also.
In case of SmartAccess failure, you need the metal key to get into the CX9.

Is it covered by warranty?
I would say YES if
- the remote was original (how does one know)?
AND - there is no physical damage apparently.

3yr/36k is the warranty for the remotes if its not physically damaged... Id say bring keys 2 and 3 to dealer and get them reprogrammed.... key2 is physically damaged so they will not warranty it....

Thanks everyone. It seemed logical to me that the non-physically damaged key would be warrantied, but I wanted to be sure. I'll take that in to get it "fixed" under warranty, and let you know if the dealer says otherwise.

Back