Security Indicator Light

Help. What does this mean and why does it flash every 2 secs. My 2009 manual on 5-49 says "This indicator light starts flashing every 2 seconds when the ignition switch is turned from the ON to the ACC position and the immobilizer system is armed. The light stops flashing when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position with the correct ignition key. At this time, the immobilizer system is disarmed and the light illuminates for about 3 seconds and then goes out."

Is this something normal that after 2 years that I've noticed on a dark evening. Do I need to be worried.

I feel stupid asking but.

"Security indicator light", you meant the red key-in-sedan-shape light, correct?
It constantly flashes every 2 seconds to indicate that the immobilizer is on.
There is nothing wrong with it.
Even when the key is off, engine shut down, the red key-shape light still flashes every 2 secs.
That is normal. I have the SmartKey, and it behaves like that since day #1. My Prius with a similar system does the same thing also. A red key-shape light flashes even when they just sit in the garage. That is also why such SmartKey system sucks battery power more than traditional system. On a Prius, there is a button to shut it off, but not so on CX9.

Last edited:
Grateful but Embarrassed

Thanks to everyone. I can now sleep safely. As I said, after 2 years this is the first time I've ever noticed the damn thing.

Back