Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: changing headlight bulb in Mazda 5

Registered Member

changing headlight bulb in Mazda 5

Hello. I have successfully changed the driver side low beam headlight bulb but I cannot get the clamp back on the passenger side.

Any advise?!!! I must have spent over almost two hours trying to get that thing back on and my hands and fingers are hacked up!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rebroth View Post
    Hello. I have successfully changed the driver side low beam headlight bulb but I cannot get the clamp back on the passenger side.

Any advise?!!! I must have spent over almost two hours trying to get that thing back on and my hands and fingers are hacked up!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
    I don't know if this will help you but here is the procedure on how to change the head lights from the factory service manual.

Also make sure to reuse the factory H7 adapter, the H7 bulb plugs into the adapter. Without it the retaining spring will not latch, here is a picture of the adapter.

2002 MP5

Wait, mazda is still using those horrible clamps on their new models? If thats the case I will NEVER buy another mazda vehicle again. I'm not kidding. Changing the bulbs on my
    P5 (especially the cramped passenger side) is one of the most FRUSTRATING things I have ever done.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Donas64 View Post
    Wait, mazda is still using those horrible clamps on their new models? If thats the case I will NEVER buy another mazda vehicle again. I'm not kidding. Changing the bulbs on my
    P5 (especially the cramped passenger side) is one of the most FRUSTRATING things I have ever done.
    Took me a while to figure it out too. it's One of those 'skills' that can never be taught by reading a manual or even watching a video. One has to 'experience' removing that clamp inorder to be able to easily do it the next time.

And always replace them in pairs. Lots of cars have have headlights that are not equally bright. caused by replacing only one side. lolz.
    Last edited by skyhawk; 11-15-2009 at 11:24 PM.

2010 Mazda CX-7

*Thanks God*

My 2006 Premacy IS NOT that style bulb or socket. Whew! yes that style of bulb and socket should be a national safety recall, like a TOTAL RECALL.

Peace!

Registered Member

Thanks, everyone. Looks like there is no special secret to making this work. I do have the adaptor and that page from the manuel....I just can seem to get that spring back over the adaptor and under that metal piece....I am replacing both lamps as they are both out. I did have luck with the driver side, I just can't get the passenger side clamp back on. I hate to pay someone to do something I can do myself. I may let my bruises and pained fingers heal for a few days before I go back in there!

Thanks again everyone!

2002 MP5

I want to find whoever designed that clamp and ask them what banana republic engineering school they went too. It might be the single thing I hate the most about my car. I'm not even kidding. Pus you have to have the hands of an Elf to get there and do what you need to do!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

PVB, Mazda2, Mazda5, Protege5 & Spam Removal Moderator

'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom

i remember it took me around a half hour to get my first bulb replaced in my protege. not i can do it no problem. you have to push it down and in a little bit. either way... it sucks that it is the same for the 5. at least i have a lot of experience since my protege used to eat bulbs.
    13 MZ3 // 13 Edge
    If you see spam.... REPORT IT! Fight the spam, don't eat it... or bump the spam threads.
    Audio stuff for sale!

It's a Space Wagon!!!!!!! zoomzoom mazda5's Avatar
    Donated: $5

mazda5 2006, matrix xrs 2003

Think that is a pain, try working on a CTS, had to remove the front bumper to get the housing unit out to change out the bulbs, That car belong to a friend, last time I'll get near one........Change my out for HID's and it took less then a hr and that was to make sure the ballast's were put in a good location.
    ZOOMZOOM

Blog Entries
    I plan to buy the HID conversion kit from Xenon Experts but cannot figure out which bulb size to order. Sent 2 PMS to the vendor but have not received a response yet. Thought it might be easier if I just ask you all. Mine is a 2009 5 Touring.

Thanks in advance!

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT

Do you need to have 'head light' alighment adjusted after an HID conversion? I've seen a increasing number of on-coming cars with HIDs that shines like they are on High Beam.

2010 Mazda CX-7

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Do you need to have 'head light' alighment adjusted after an HID conversion? I've seen a increasing number of on-coming cars with HIDs that shines like they are on High Beam.
    Yes. You can do it yourself with a screwdriver and a flat road area or large parking lot. It's up to you what you want to do. I can't see paying someone to align lights I can do myslef.

Peace!
    Last edited by SGT_OKINAWA; 12-29-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Can someone tell me which kit I should get? I know I want 4300K or 5000K in terms of brightness, but H1, H5 or H11? Is there a special kit for rookies? I just want to increase the brightness of my low beam for night driving, nothing fancy. Thanks!

http://www.buyhidkits.com/

2010 Mazda CX-7

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by petitevan View Post
    Can someone tell me which kit I should get? I know I want 4300K or 5000K in terms of brightness, but H1, H5 or H11? Is there a special kit for rookies? I just want to increase the brightness of my low beam for night driving, nothing fancy. Thanks!

http://www.buyhidkits.com/
    A. it's up to you, how much can you afford really.

B. Do you plan to do it yourself? If so, there is a thread on the "Do it yourslef" for HID lights, NOT EASY but doable.

C. Have you considered just buying a higher output lightbulb INSTEAD of putting in HID lamps?

as far as "What one is easier" ask here:

LINK

Good luck, keep us posted and post pictures, BEFORE and AFTER.

Peace!

Registered Member

06 Carbon Gray Touring 5

Quote Originally Posted by Donas64 View Post
    No $hit! Those retaining springs are the biggest PITA I've EVER dealt with!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast