Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007+ Mazda5 Horn Upgrade - Multiple Pics - 56k connection beware

Registered Member

2007+ Mazda5 Horn Upgrade - Multiple Pics - 56k connection beware

Finally got around to replacing that wimpy sounding "meep meep" horn with dual horns. The horns I used were 135db models. I used a low tone horn and a high tone horn. I got the horns from carparts.com for $16.00 for the two horns (contrary to my writeup below that says $31 as the $31 was for 4 horns). The 3 wire tap I got from Radio Shack for $3.99 for a 10 pack. The wire I got from Radio Shack a while ago.

I elected to remove the front bumper to do the horns. It is remotely possible that you could do this without removing the bumper, but you would have a heck of a time working from the ground looking up into the tight space that these horns occupy.

The car in the writeup is my 2009 Sport. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. In total, with taking all the photos and working slow and deliberate, it took me about 2 hours to do this. Without having to take the pics, it probably would have taken an hour or so.

EDIT - Forgot to mention, these horns are LOUD. Much louder than stock. They also have a deeper tone that sounds great and not at all like the "meep meep" sound that comes from the single stock horn

Last edited by mde8965; 11-01-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: forgot to comment on the sound of the new horns
    2010 Mazda3 GT 5Dr, Celestial Blue Mica, Moonroof/Bose & Tech Packages.
    Mods/Accessories: Cargo Tray; All Waether Floor Mats; Wheel Locks; Rear Bumper Protector; 15% Llumar tint, horn upgrade, yellow Lamin-X tint on the fogs.

2009 Mazda5 Sport, Pearl White Mica
    Mods/Accessories: Cargo Mat; Wheel Locks; Rear Bumper Protector; 15% Llumar Tint, horn upgrade

06 Mazda3s GT

Wow, very nice write up. Your pictures are very thoughtful, detailed and clear.
    You're a how-to guru.

Are you going to do the same to your 2010 Mazda3?

Registered Member

Thanks.

Did the Mazda3 already, but there are many how to's on the internet for that already...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda 5 GT Pearl White '07

Nice "how-to" !

But we need a video.

Registered Member

A video with sound. Before and after
    Thanks for the write up and pics!

2010 Mazda CX-7

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mde8965 View Post
    I elected to remove the front bumper to do the horns.
    Wow, that is a lot just for horns, but thanks for share,
    should we need to remove the bumper for something else.

It is remotely possible that you
    could do this without removing the bumper, but you would
    have a heck of a time working from the ground looking up
    into the tight space that these horns occupy.
    Or use the car lift at the on military post auto hobby shop

Keep in mind folks, that the horns are one wire hook up and
    if you want, you can add to the stock ones in place, more
    horns = more sound.

Also you can relocate the horns (Stock or after market ones)
    to a different location on the vehicle, like one front and one rear,
    or one on each side up front. Because you can ground them to
    anyplace, just need to run the hot wire to the horn.

Great pictures and write up !

Peace!

Registered Member

Mazda5

Great write-up and pics. I was wondering how to remove the front bumper of my Mazda5. Thank you.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SGT_OKINAWA View Post
    Wow, that is a lot just for horns, but thanks for share,
    should we need to remove the bumper for something else.

Or use the car lift at the on military post auto hobby shop
    Trust me, its easier to just remove the bumper. The only other option is to remove the front driver side wheel, remove the wheel well liner and go at it that way. Even with that you will be working in very tight confines and it will be hard to see and hard to get wrenches etc... in there. With a lift it might be a litter easier than without but space and craning your neck upward to work on the horns would kill me as I have neck injuries.

If you can use a screwdriver, the bumper is off in 20 minutes tops.-- 10 if you've done it before... The whole project would not take more than 1-2 hours...

To me the horn is a safety device (and therefore VERY important) and in my opinion the one that Mazda gave us is not loud enough and its tone makes other drivers not take it as seriously. Can't tell you how many times I have had to use my horn in my Mazda5 and how other drivers just do not seem to react to it. My Mazda3 was even worse before I did the horns on it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Look Mom, A Real Clutch! coolmazda5's Avatar
    Donated: $15

2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package

Wow, impressive. Thanks for the detailed pics!

Oh, and yes, here is the right place to post it
    - 2008 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Stormy Blue Mica, Popular Package, Aux Input, TPMS, The Thule Roof Rack Works, MAZDASPEED Shift Knob
    - Past: 2006 Mazda5, 5MT Sport, Carbon Gray, Popular Package, OEM Fog Lights

[How to Search & Post]

Mazda Convert

08 Mazda 5 GT

Great job. Can't wait to do this on mine.

Old and slow, unlike my 5 KBrian's Avatar
    Donated: $20

07' Mazda 5 GT 5 spd

Your awesome guide has inspired me to axe the aweful stock horns and add my own.

Thanks so much, MDE 8965

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by KBrian View Post
    Your awesome guide has inspired me to axe the aweful stock horns and add my own.

Thanks so much, MDE 8965
    Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions...

Mazda5 GT

Wow... nice write up!

I don't have a write up, but I also installed duel horns... well worth it. I just added a low tone to the stock horn.

michael.
    '08 Mazda5 GT, Brilliant Black, fog light jumper, MS3 springs, 35% tint, 18" RX8, 16" Protege5

'00 VW Golf TDI, Satin Silver w/ some real zoom-zoom & burning biodiesel!

Registered Member

ReD Headz - Cool - Neverthought to turn the one horn around backwards to give more room. What year is your car? I swear I don't think there was enough room on mine to do that...

Blog Entries
    In the past few months I got pushed out my own lane twice by distracted drivers who first didn't notice my car and then couldn't hear my desperate honking. I am a defensive driver and I always stay out of other cars' blind spots, but these two cars kept moving towards me even AFTER I honked for 3+ seconds. Luckily I was able to swerve to avoid the impact without hitting another car, but the horn was definitely a disappointment. The question for me is if I should do this myself or get an auto mechanic do it. It looks like a lot of work. Considering the fact that the HID installation took me 3+ hours, how long do you think this will take me?

Trust me, its easier to just remove the bumper. The only other option is to remove the front driver side wheel, remove the wheel well liner and go at it that way. Even with that you will be working in very tight confines and it will be hard to see and hard to get wrenches etc... in there. With a lift it might be a litter easier than without but space and craning your neck upward to work on the horns would kill me as I have neck injuries.

If you can use a screwdriver, the bumper is off in 20 minutes tops.-- 10 if you've done it before... The whole project would not take more than 1-2 hours...

To me the horn is a safety device (and therefore VERY important) and in my opinion the one that Mazda gave us is not loud enough and its tone makes other drivers not take it as seriously. Can't tell you how many times I have had to use my horn in my Mazda5 and how other drivers just do not seem to react to it. My Mazda3 was even worse before I did the horns on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast