Mazda5, Warranty Related Fixes

erik111

:
06 Mazda 5 & 09 Mitsi Lancer GTS
Just thought I would let everyone know of recent problems I have had fixed recently.

The first was cracks in the top of the lift gate. When I took it in to them they looked at it and determined it wasn't hit or damaged and that they would replace it which they did. I was going to leave the MAZDA 5 emblem off when they got done only to find out there are 2 dimples in the plastic gate that correctly line up the emblem so back on they went. Oh well.

The problem this week was my wife came home and said it was leaking oil or something. So I instantly start assumming the worst. But after following the trail of oil it ended up under the pass. side motor mount, which I found odd. I looked on here for any info on the motor mounts but couldn't find anything. So the next morning I called the local dealer and asked if the 5 had liquid filled motor mounts and it does, at least one side is as I understand it. And naturally they didn't have one in stock so they overnighted one and replaced the next day.

So for future ref. one of the motor mounts is liquid filled and they can fail and experience a little automobile diarrhea.

As another little side note my serv. advisor said mazda recently changed their policy on paying for loaner cars and it has to be at least 4 billable hours and/or some other things but I can't remember. Anyways these guys used to help me out whenever I needed it but I guess this is another result of our wonderful economy.

My rear shocks were blown after a bad winter we had earlier this year; Replaced under warranty.

Front rotors were machined becase of juttering when braking; Repaired under warranty.

One rear shock about a year ago. Recently rear spring isolator pads cause one decided to self destruct.

Dealer will be replacing the driver's door body-coloured moulding. I also plan to have them look at the vibration at cruising speed when I get it back in this week.

Looks like the alternator is bad - It was assembled exactly 4 years ago - warranty until April. Been getting a whining @ alt when idling, and starter soulds low on juice before it fires up. Thank goodness the ignition and fuel deliv. are strong.

Get this - was told that the whining is "normal" or at least common. I feel its a dismissal instead of actually investigating the prob. Anyway, the electronics test said the alt was good, batt bad. While I was there, noticed the crack in the tailgate. Add mine to the list of bad tailgates.

Front rotors turned and accessory belts replaced under warranty 24 thousand km

We had our gas cap replaced. I thought it got put in wrong as it was kinda crooked and we had to break it to take it out, but when I called the dealer to buy a new gas cap, they said it was under warranty because they've seen it happen before.

I had the following replaced the first year I owned my 2008 GS.
  • Adaptor between the driver seat and the floor
  • The heater blower
  • Muffler

Well today mine goes back in to have the pass side slider door lock assembly replaced. It has been getting worse and finally got bad enough that they could "duplicate the problem" I have been having for weeks.

I have less than 5,000 miles warranty left so I hope the driver side slider lock doesn't fail or it does before the warranty runs out.

So for future ref. one of the motor mounts is liquid filled and they can fail and experience a little automobile diarrhea.

I had the same motor mount replaced. The new one is solid rubber.

My Premacy here in Japan = Already solid rubber engine mounts.

I've not heard of a cars that sell for less than 50K having fluid type motor mounts, so, whoa.. learn something new because those DO get expensive, and I'd think Mazda would keep costs down and reliable, like the solid rubber ones. :)

Peace!(rei)

I've not heard of a cars that sell for less than 50K having fluid type motor mounts, so, whoa.. learn something new because those DO get expensive, and I'd think Mazda would keep costs down and reliable, like the solid rubber ones. :)

Peace!(rei)

I was shocked myself, as I was also under the impression that liquid filled mounts are more of a luxury car thing. But as is almost always the case, when something new comes out on luxury cars it eventually finds its way down the chain as it becomes cheaper to produce.

Also when I first asked the serv advisor about it he said one of the mounts was liquid filled, not both. I am sure Mazda had their reasons for only doing one but I am sure I will never know what it was.

As a side note I have been happy for the most part with my local service dept but when it comes to parts dept. not so much.
When they replaced the rear hatch they had it for 5 days and but the badges didn't come in until the next week.
When the motor mount was replaced it wasn't in stock which I can kind of understand. So I had to come back the next day.
When I took it in last week for the slider lock, they told me the bag with the part had the right number but the wrong part inside. So I now have to take it back for a 3rd time for the lock issue. First time so they can diagnose and order part because naturally they don't stock it, second time to have it replaced but they had the wrong part. So I am getting a little irritated with having to keep returning to deal with these issues.

Last edited:
As a side note I have been happy for the most part with my local service dept but when it comes to parts dept. not so much. When they replaced the rear hatch they had it for 5 days and but the badges didn't come in until the next week. When the motor mount was replaced it wasn't in stock which I can kind of understand. So I had to come back the next day. When I took it in last week for the slider lock, they told me the bag with the part had the right number but the wrong part inside. So I now have to take it back for a 3rd time for the lock issue. First time so they can diagnose and order part because naturally they don't stock it, second time to have it replaced but they had the wrong part. So I am getting a little irritated with having to keep returning to deal with these issues.

What you just said;

1. Do they have a web site?
If so, ask http://www.resellerratings.com/ to add them and then post a comment,

2. Go to ... http://www.carrepairratings.com/ post a rating.

2. About the Car itself... www.carcomplaints.com

Hope that helps, a little, (wink)

Peace!(rei)

My mazda5 has had too many repairs for a three year old vehicle in my opinion! The latest annoyance is the beginning of rust in my wheel wells :(

PLEASE read about my problems here, and Mazda's response.

http://www.mymazda5lemon.blogspot.com/

Please comment to let me know that you have read it... I am considering taking it down since no one seems to share the same problems, or does not want to admit to having them!

or does not want to admit to having them!

What about this same forum?

I admit the 06 has not been the best, but nothing really warranting a lemon so far and too late! (it has taken me from point A to point B reliably). In addition, I guess we have come to the conclusion that the early 06s for many of us have been more of experimental models, yet, at least to me, there has been no other car to replace its flexibility, style and driving, still love mine (it is like marriage, LOL)

Here is a list for the 06:

• Liftgate strut replaced (warranty)
  • Front squeaking bushings replaced (TSB, warranty)
  • Sliding doors locks that can freeze replaced (recall)
  • Exhaust replacement (recall). Really upsetting, but got a rental MPV, reset warranty for an extra 4 months and $500
  • New battery after 3 years (got a decent pro-rate from the dealer)
  • Sliding door lock actuators replaced (warranty), last week!
  • Loud clunk on rear driver's side shock on 80F+ temperatures (still, not able to reproduce)
  • Keyfob replaced after 3 years (warranty)
  • ECU Update (TSB)

Upside: most of this done during the scheduled maintenance...

And for the 08, just regular services so far!

Last edited:

El Cheapo 2nd gen Sonata - all hydrolic motor mounts - $300 each!!(boom05)

Just read your blog, changsta. Had an a/c squeal too (07 GT). Dealer replaced the belt at 24000km and turned the rotors as well (N/C). Other than these fixes, no other problems.

Response from Mazda Canada to your letter was disapointing to say the least. Seems like finding a good dealer who is willing to do warranty work is the key to being a satisfied 5 owner.

BTW, your list of repairs over the 90km do not seem too excessive. However, as those km's were logged in just 3 years, it must have seemed like one problem after another.

How many of the repairs besides the brakes and the left rear shock were at your expense?

Back