Odd electrical issues, need help

vipercwf

So this morning on my way to work I was driving and had my car on cruise control..I rolled down my window, and the radio station I was listening to went out and just said "Bose Sound" on the display and my cruise control went out. The second I stopped rolling down the window the radio came back on and I reset the cruise. Then I used my blinker and the same thing happened. I'm really worried as to what this can be. I then realized I had to jump start my g/f's jeep this morning so I'm wondering if it had anything to do with that, although it was just a normal jump nothing out of the ordinary. Any input is greatly appreciate I'm really freakin worried I dont have money for this crap to happen to me right now. Any ideas as to what it could be and is my car screwed most likely?

Sounds like you might have fried the voltage regulator for your alternator. When you jumped her jeep how did you hook it up? Did you go positive to positive, negative to negative? You are supposed to go positive to positive, negative on the dead car to the engine on the running car.

Ya that's what I'm sayings weird about it i've jumped a thousand cars before I didn't do anything different did it same way its supposed to.

Ya, thanks i'll check them after work. If i did blow the regulator is that an expensive item, and is it hard as far as labor goes to fix?

It all depends, some cars the voltage regulator is in the alternator, some it is a separate unit, and others have the voltage regulators built into the ECU. I am not sure which design Mazda used with the 6's.

So I went out and checked my engine bay fuses at lunch and didn't find any blown ones. Heres a couple things i noticed tho. On my way to grab lunch in the car things would work and then not work. Cruise control was working this time even when I rolled down my window. When i got out of my car it wouldn't power lock any way via remote, the button on door and the power lock button inside the care, but after I grabbed lunch when I got back to work it locked fine. Only my driver side window would roll down..Seems to me like theres a short somewhere but I could be wrong? Any chance disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it would help? I'm completely lost as to whats causing this or how to go about fixing it.

My BCM (body contol module) went out on me and it did some funny things, left blinker wouldn't work, gas gauge was fluctuating , windows would go down but not up etc.....might be something for you to look into.

Oh and btw, the doors not locking and windows not working were doing that with the car not running too. Everything electrical seems to just be going nuts working and not working, regardless if the car is running or not.

i tried to install some LEDs in an altima and they were the wrong size so i put the regular bulbs back in and the all the sudden no interior lights would work.. the car would start.. but would not shift into gear.. i blew a whole line of fuses some how.. basically what im trying to say is that its probably something very simple and deffinately electrical..most likely, as Bova said, its something to do with the fuses.. keep us posted. im curious as to what is causing this bizzare behavior.

Checked all my fuses in the engine bay and by drivers side door, no blown fuses...

My car is actually acting better now, Radio hasn't gone out since early yesterday cruise still works. Drivers window will roll down but none of the other ones will from driver side..though they still roll down if you use the button at each seat.

Checked all my fuses in the engine bay and by drivers side door, no blown fuses...

My car is actually acting better now, Radio hasn't gone out since early yesterday cruise still works. Drivers window will roll down but none of the other ones will from driver side..though they still roll down if you use the button at each seat.

Your battery is going/gone bad (internal short) or was discharged badly. The low voltage will cause all those weird indications.

Something interesting I realized, when my car was doing all that crazy stuff I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it, and because when I got in the car and instantly noticed the other windows werent working from drivers controls I thought everything was still messed up, but i've realized that since i've done that i haven't had the whole radio shorting out thing or cruise control go out when i roll down window or use blinker. Maybe I should check fuses for windows again, maybe they blew in the interim?

If it's like you said my battery is just going bad I should just take it out and go get it tested at autozone or wherever, right?

Something interesting I realized, when my car was doing all that crazy stuff I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it, and because when I got in the car and instantly noticed the other windows werent working from drivers controls I thought everything was still messed up, but i've realized that since i've done that i haven't had the whole radio shorting out thing or cruise control go out when i roll down window or use blinker. Maybe I should check fuses for windows again, maybe they blew in the interim?

If it's like you said my battery is just going bad I should just take it out and go get it tested at autozone or wherever, right?

Go to each window and roll it all the way down then back up and hold the button for a second you should hear a couple of clicks. Same thing happened to mine when I had to disconnect the battery for something. I believe there is a sticky somewhere around here for this as well.

Yeah, get the battery checked...

Go to each window and roll it all the way down then back up and hold the button for a second you should hear a couple of clicks. Same thing happened to mine when I had to disconnect the battery for something. I believe there is a sticky somewhere around here for this as well.

Well thanks for this! Now my windows are fixed and working. I haven't had any other issues really, expect yesterday. I was out of town for 4 days and when I got back i was driving down the road and whe I turned my left blinker on my radio and headlights went out for a split second, and it almost felt like the car bogged down or something, but it happened so fast I'm not sure...So weird and I don't have a clue where to start with that..

Well when I went to lunch my car radio was "shorting out" alot again out of nowhere. I was in a drive thru and at idle it was fine but when i would move forward in the line it kept doing it, along with my dash lights going dim for a split second as well.

Yesterday I pulled out of the store onto the road and my headlights flickered out, radio shorted out and my car started 'jumpin' like crazy. I think its shorting out the DSC causing it to kick on thinking the car is slipping when its not. What the hell would cause this?

I would bet my LIFE on this. I really honestly think it is your alternator. Probably just the voltage regulator but like someone else said, who knows where its located. I had all these same problems in my CRX, not the windows cause didnt have em... lol. But with the jump it all started, and my car had all the problems and i changed the alternator. Nothing changed, went through hell and back. Took the alternator back in and got another. Then my problems stopped. Before u mess with this any more, PLEASE get it checked. Because it will kill your battery and you will need a battery also! I just bought one for my Speed and it was like $90. So save that cash!

Back