Water in passenger footwell - where's the leak?

theEZV

:
2003.5 MSP --> 2013 WRX --> 2014 335i
All right lets play find the leak

I have water in my passenger footwell, the carpet is soaked every time it rains. I can't figure out where the water is coming from. i even took it to the dealer and they couldnt find the cause, heater core and ac drain checked out ok. had the windshield seal people test the seal and it was ok.

its not a leaking heater core
its not a clogged up ac drain
its not a leaky windshield seal

throw out some ideas i'd like to get this fixed before rust becomes an issue

What about the seal where all the wires come in for the ECM? It's on the firewall and I could see that possibly being a problem. That, or maybe there are plugs on the floor? I can't really remember what it looked like under the carpet.

What about the seal where all the wires come in for the ECM? It's on the firewall and I could see that possibly being a problem. That, or maybe there are plugs on the floor? I can't really remember what it looked like under the carpet.

i do have a vacuum line there for the afc, but the leak was there before it was installed. are there plugs in the floor?

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 2,559

I don't think so - that means his engine compartment would be full of water.

I'm not sure where it's located, but try finding the drain outlet for water that runs off the roof - I know it goes down the side of the A-pillar, but I'm not sure where it comes out.

I had one of mine in the back pop out of its hole in the side of the car, and my trunk started filling with water. I just had to pop the grommet back into the hole...

I'm assuming when you drive in the rain water is gonna get up in the engine compartment. Plus the harness isn't to high up where water couldn't be thrown up there. How long has this problem been happening? I know I've heard other people with this problem before.

discovered the leak when installing the ss afc in august. i think everyone runs the vacuum line for the afc thru there and water gettin in doesnt seem to be an issue for them

I have had the same problem. This started after I had the windscreen replaced however. So my guess would be the seal around the windscreen.

the ac drain? the tech who looked at my msp said it was fine

No, there are separate drain hoses for water that drains off the car - if you look inside your trunk on either side down near your bumper, you'll see what I'm talking about.

It sounds like one of your front ones is loose, but I don't know exactly where they're located in the front.

can anyone tell me where the water drain hoses are in the front?

any other ideas as far as the cause of the leak?

can anyone tell me where the water drain hoses are in the front?

any other ideas as far as the cause of the leak?

I know they run behind the A-pillars, so maybe if you take those off, you'll be able to trace them down to where they come out.

the roof drains tie into the pinch welds in the front iirc. I believe when those drains back up water will come flowing in.

Back