92 Protege Won't start: Computer Problem?

McGoo22

:
92 Protege, 95 Protege
Hi,
My name is Ian and I'm from Montreal, Canada. This is my first post, and I hope you guys can help me out. This forum looks like an excellent site!

My 1992 Mazda Protege 1.8 won't start due to a problem with the ignition. There is no spark. I'm fairly good with electrical stuff, and I think I've found the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

On the distributor, there's a three-pin plug.

One pin has 0 volts, and I assume that's the ground. Seems OK to me.

The second pin has 12 volts + on it. Seems OK to me.

The third pin has 0 volts on it. But, when I checked on my other Protege, that pin has 5 volts + on it. I think this is my problem. I should have 5 volts, and I don't.

Can anyone tell me where that 5 volt signal comes from and what it's for? I can't find a wiring diagram for the car on the Net anywhere. I assume it has something to do with the computer, but I'm not sure.

I have noticed one other thing that may or may not be significant. On my Protege that runs, the check engine light comes on when the ignition is turned on (motor not running,) along with the alternator and oil pressure warning lights. On this car, the check engine light is not coming on. Alt. and oil lights are working.

Let me know if you have any ideas, please!
Thanks, best regards
Ian

i dont know much about these cars but if the wire your talking about is supposed to have 5 volts it is more than likely coming from the ecu, have you checked all of the fuses?

Hi Everybody,

Just to let you know, I got the car started today, by changing the computer for the one out my other Protege. Thanks to those of you who took the time to read my post!
Ian

Back