Low tone horn added to factory high tone horn

MS3Steve

:
07 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
I'm off work this week (unpaid!) so I have some extra time and was in the mood for a car project. I remember seeing a thread about adding in a low tone horn to our cars, but after searching all I could find was a youtube clip about it. After watching the clip I went to autozone and for $17 bought a low tone horn. It is very easy to install, the only hard part is taking off your bumper. I had taken my bumper off once before for my CAI install, so I wasnt as hesitate about doing it again.
What I cant get over is right next to our factory horn there is a threaded hole that the low horn mounts perfectly into. Why didnt Mazda just put one there! Anyways, here are some pictures and clips of before and after, let me know if you have any questions. Thanks to retrobmx63 for posting the youtube video.

Factory horn

horn001-1.jpg

Horn before

Low tone horn added
horn003.jpg

Horn after

Good job, I have to get around to this sometime soon. How did you secure the low tone in there? I know you said there is a spot but does the low tone come with a bracket? Is the picture you posted of it already secured into place?

Thanks Sport6, I should have taken a few more pictures, but if you look closely in the first pic that black bracket to the right of the stock horn has a hole at the bottom that is threaded. The new horn has a threaded stud on it, so all you do is screw the horn assembly into the existing hole. The threads match up perfectly and it makes for a tight fit. After that I just tapped into the postive wire going to the stock horn and grounded the other terminal and it worked! The only thing I wish I did was test to see what just the low tone horn sounded like, ill have to try it when I clean my air filter next.

Last edited:
I was able to drill a hole in the stock arm and mount the low tone above the high tone. It's a tight squeeze with the CAI in there but it did work. Removing the horn and arm isn't hard, pull the front of the splash shield, fish an arm with a 12 mm wrench up there and undo the one bolt holding it on.

this combo make an old-school American car horn sound. It's a huge improvement over the stock meep-meep chick-car sound.

sorry this is a bit off topic, but your CAI has a shield (looks like the mazdaspeed CAI). Does everyone mount them like that with the shield facing up? or is it possible to flip it upside down to reduce water from splash/tires?

Great, I see that hole now, Thanks! Ya I wonder what two low tones sound like (or 1)?

It isn't necessary to remove the bumper. I went in through the flap in front of the wheel. I used the Wolo air horn and added a small bracket to the existing one. Had to add a relay triggered by the OEM horn's power. Works well and definitely gets their attention.

sorry this is a bit off topic, but your CAI has a shield (looks like the mazdaspeed CAI). Does everyone mount them like that with the shield facing up? or is it possible to flip it upside down to reduce water from splash/tires?

No problem about being off topic, you are right I have the Mazdaspeed CAI. I'm pretty sure I mounted the shield that way per the instructions. The shield has two mounting holes that line up with a bracket on the lower intake tube. I remember debating how to mount it and if I recall it only mounted one way. I think the plastic splash guard covers the filter from the bottom and the shield protects the other sides. If I have it backwards please let me know?!?!

I was only asking because I am currently researching CAIs and debating which one to get, but I dont which way it goes

Ya I wonder what two low tones sound like (or 1)?

One low tone sounds just as pathetic as one high; two of either are barely an improvement. To those who have done it, the hi/low is night and day difference.
I think my low tone came with a small bracket, I just bolted both horns to the same hole on the stock bracket and went in through the bottom. Small spot to get your arms in to say the least.

Also, has anyone mentioned the clip that attaches the wire to stock horn?
Major PITA but I think the correct way to remove it is to "press" the little flappy plastic thing "in" to release the horn. It feels like you should "lift up" on it, but that does nothing.

Back