P0171 and P0455 on '05 Mazda 6I

LaPs

Hello everyone,

My 2005 6I is spitting out the subject line CEL codes. Dealer recommended service is to replace the leak detection pump, purge valve, air flow meter, and the gas cap for the low low estimated price of $1111.

A little background....my specific issue started at the gas station a few weeks back when the car wouldn't start up after refueling. Initially thought it was a drained battery, so I got a jump and things were good. Refueled a week later and same thing, no start, but this time the CEL came on. Pumping the gas pedal while turning the key solved the starting problem, but the CEL stayed on.

From all the online research I've done it sounds like 7/10 times it's the gas cap, so I went ahead and replaced that but the CEL persists. It also seems like many others have had issues with their purge valve, but has anyone encountered a faulty leak detection pump? That's the bulk of the labor cost apparently.

Everything is operating perfectly normal, except for the very first startup after refueling. I haven't noticed any drop in gas mileage. How serious of a problem is this for the long term health of my car? Labor rates aside, is any of this overkill?

Thanks for any and all help you folks can provide. Sorry if these are some repeat questions, I'm new to the forum.

Regards,
LaPs

Back