best year for the 3?

BoPro5

:
03.5 Protege5
i'm currently a P5 owner but might be trading up to a 3. So guys whats the best year to get for the Mazda 3? and Why?

PS i'll be getting the wagon and a standard manual if that matters.

Last edited:
I'm love my '08.5 M3H! Had a silver '04 M3H before this one and it was good, too. But I like this one's color better. :D (see sig)

I'm also glad this one has all the extra safety features -- ABS w/ TCS/EBD/DSC, Front Side Air Bags / Front & Rear Side Air Curtain (SAB/SAC). The silver one got totaled (R.I.P., Zippy) when someone ran a red light in front of my wife on her way home last year. Even though it didn't have all the safety features I listed above, she only had some bruises on her legs and my daughter had one tiny one on her neck from the car seat harness. No broken glass. No airbag deployment, though I'm pretty sure the side and curtain would've been triggered if it'd had them.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123710000

Now every time I see a silver one it's like I'm seeing a ghost. (eek2)

Depending on where you get your info (Consumer Reports, TrueDelta) some model years may have more problems of a particular type than others. For example, CR says that the '07s have a slightly higher incidence of engine problems, but only for the set of MZ3/M3H owners who are also CR subscribers AND who filled out their annual survey.

Personally, I'd go for an '06-'07 with the SAB/SAC package or an '08-'08.5/'09, which has them standard. If you're trying to avoid "troubled year" models, just make sure you take it to a competent mechanic prior to purchase and look for yourself to see if all the TSBs that apply to it have been done (there'll be stickers under the hood for the ones relating to emissions; you'll probably have to hunt for or ask about the others.. I don't know where other campaign stickers get placed or even if all TSBs require them to be noted on the car via a sticker).

One of the good things about the '06-'07s is that, even if you find one that's not a GT with the Driver Information System (DIS) trip computer, you can unlock the DIS to get current MPG, average MPG, etc., to read out in the head unit display. :D Can't do that with the single-CD head units in the '08-'08.5/'09s :( Another is the 5-speed AT. Previous years' ATs were 4-speed.

One of the good things about the '08.5/'09 is the cloth interior's color scheme is toned down and more refined-looking (if that's your thing): very little contrast between the center part of the seat and the rest of the seat; piano black trim on the radio, dash, and door button-panels.

If you're looking for the "Rare Breed", you could try to find an SP23.. :cool: Limited production (from '05?), only available in Carbon Gray Mica w/ polished alloy wheels and two-tone black/brown leather seats and door and dash panels, LED tail lamps and I forget what else. Good luck, tho'.. ppl tend to hang on to them. I've only seen one come up for sale. Ever.

Sorry for the long post... It's what I do.

wow talk about highly informative!!! thanks sunrun. that sp23 sounds really cool to have!

i would only ever get a stick shift and not one of those hybrid automatic/manual trans's. Is there a 6-speed 3?

Hehe.. There is.. (naughty) It's called the Mazdaspeed3 (Speed3 for short)... It's only available with a 6-speed Manual... and it's turbocharged! (glare)

P.S. I think the SP23 was available in both Manual 5-speed and Auto 4-speed.

Last edited:
I actually have an 09 MZ3 with the single CD player...And I unlocked the DIS feature and it works great

2010...... /thread...lol...

But on a serious note i only say that cause i've never driven the previous generation. However, if you so choose to get a new car, the hatchback can be had with a 6 speed manual. I should have opted for that but just got the sedan with 5 speed manual.

Either way you go, i'm sure you will not be dissapointed.

Back