Manual Transmission Fluid

Hi,

I recently bought a used 2002 P5 and noticed that shifting isn't very smooth (especially first and second). It's bearable but I'd like to change the transmission fluid to see if it makes it any better.

I went to mazda and they recommend that I use 5W-50 full-synthetic motor oil (even though the service manual recommends 75W-90 gear oil). Their price is $70 for whatever oil I'd like, so I'm going to let them take care of it for me.

I'd like to know what type of oil you guys recommend? Also, should/could I get it "flushed"? And finally, is there anything in the shifter linkage that I can lubricate to make shifting smoother?

Thanks

No.
I really can't believe they recommended this. I would not let them touch my car!

Either use the same weight GM synchomesh or royal purple.

Well, first off, its not a hard job at all to do. But, if you want to yourself, $70 sounds reasonable for a dealership. I used Mobil One synthetic transmission fluid and it made a world of difference. Other great brands are redline and royal purple.

Oh yeah, the weight they say is wayyyy to low.

Well, first off, its not a hard job at all to do. But, if you want to yourself, $70 sounds reasonable for a dealership. I used Mobil One synthetic transmission fluid and it made a world of difference. Other great brands are redline and royal purple.

Oh yeah, the weight they say is wayyyy to low.

How hard is it to get the bottom drain plug and filler plug off? Is there much room to work in there?

Perhaps I should cancel the appointment and do it myself...

definitly do it yourself. its a really simple job. filling it is a lil tricky but not impossible

Just cancelled my appointment, I'll try to do it myself this weekend.

Looking around at local stores I can only find the GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh transmission fluid. To get Royal Purple or Redline I'd have to make a trip to the US.

Reading on the Pennzoil site, they say that their Synchromesh oil is designed for GM or Chrysler transmissions whereas the Royal Purple site says that their oil is for manual transmissions that can use automatic fluid (the guy at mazda seemed to imply that this was true for the P5).

I'm concerned about the winter, what do you guys in cold climates use? I'm leaning towards the Royal Purple stuff if only I could get my hands on it.

Royal purple isn't worth the money IMHO. Redline MT90 and others are just as good of quality (if not better) and about 2/3 the price. ($10 vs. $15 per quart) I like Redline MT90 and this is what I have used in the past. Although I used a 80w-90 weight oil when I just swapped my trans because my bro already had it around. Trans has been shifting nicely with the 80w in it. Most important thing is just to get a 75w-90 fluid as it says in the manual.

I changed mine recently and it is very easy. Spray some PB Blaster on the bolts the day before, you'll be glad you did. You'll need some kind of long funnel or tubing as well since it's a tricky fill angle. I ordered Redline MT-90 from Jegs and had it in 2 days. While you are under there check/lube the shifter linkage & bushings too. That will help smooth out your shifts. If you don't have a short throw shifter , it's a great mod for our cars. I have the B&M and love it.

I changed mine recently and it is very easy. Spray some PB Blaster on the bolts the day before, you'll be glad you did. You'll need some kind of long funnel or tubing as well since it's a tricky fill angle. I ordered Redline MT-90 from Jegs and had it in 2 days. While you are under there check/lube the shifter linkage & bushings too. That will help smooth out your shifts. If you don't have a short throw shifter , it's a great mod for our cars. I have the B&M and love it.

Urethane shifter bushings adds a tight precise feel to your shifts as well. With or without a short shifter, although its a much more noticeable effect when used with the short shifter.

I'll what I can get at my local car shops, hopefully they'll have some new bushings too.

I'll report back when I'm done, thanks!

EDIT: Just looked at the service manual; how the hell do you get to those bushings? :S

Last edited:
i use mt 90.,., doesnt made any difference since the previous oil was clear lol.,.,

I'll what I can get at my local car shops, hopefully they'll have some new bushings too.

I'll report back when I'm done, thanks!

EDIT: Just looked at the service manual; how the hell do you get to those bushings? :S

There is only one shifter bushing. Its relatively easy to get to. It sits above your exhaust pipe directly behind the transmission & rear motor/trans mount on the end of your shift linkage closest to the transmission.

There is only one shifter bushing. Its relatively easy to get to. It sits above your exhaust pipe directly behind the transmission & rear motor/trans mount on the end of your shift linkage closest to the transmission.

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about. It's #3 on this diagram, right?

Thanks again

will you be able to take some pics of the fill and drain bolt along with maybe a how to? also what size tools is needed? thanks

To fill the tranny, I recommend cutting the end off the gear oil bottle, connecting a tube, and squeezing the gear oil through the tube into the fill hole. I filled from above without a problem.

$70 is usurious--it's a 15 minute job, max, and maybe $20 for the gear oil.

Ah, I think I know what you're talking about. It's #3 on this diagram, right?

Thanks again

Ya that's it. #4 is the other shifter bushing. I forgot about the other bushing at the shifter end of the linkage. I was just thinking about the one at the transmission end earlier. It was the end of a long day at work, lol.

$70 is usurious--it's a 15 minute job, max, and maybe $20 for the gear oil.

It's not $20 if he uses Royal purple, lol. It would be much closer to $50.

Last edited:
If you could find Mobil One, I would really recommend it. I used it and it made a world of difference.

I like you changed your mind about doing it yourself. All you need is a 23mm (I think i remember) socket and a funnel with a long tube attached.

Drain.
Put 1.9 qts in
Done.

Back