Will Full Coverage Insurance Cover A Blown Motor?

I have now joined the Zoom-Zoom Boom Club. A guy at work was saying that most insurance companies will cover a blown engine if you pay your deductable for it. Has anyone had any luck with this or knowledge about it?

short answer: no. it's insurance not a warranty.

long answer: read your policy docs and/or ask your agent. that's the only way to know for sure.

Generally no. My insurance company was willing to look at a claim for my popped motor only because the oil vapors from the blown motor caused a fire... Fire is a comprehensive claim. Then the insuracnce company would seek reimbursement for the source cause of the fire.

Of course MAZDA NAO was trying to force me to go that way so they wouldn't have to pay out as much.

Stick by your guns. Have Mazda put you whole.

Called my local dealer and asked them about it. Pretty much I told them that my car is modded to hell. They said no over the phone. But never voided my warranty on my car because I never told them my name or anything.

Why would you tell them the car is modded to hell? As far as they are concerned you are pushing the engine above and beyond what it was designed to do. Rip all the aftermarket stuff off, put the stock stuff back, and take it in.

return your car back to stock and bring it in. Maybe not the one you called, since they know somebody is out there recently with a blown motor and modded. You don't want them to use anything against you.

things you will probably need to consider:

-oil change receipt, if you do your own, i would say find a shop to make you receipts. They are basically forcing everybody to do their oil changes at the dealer or local shop. I would think if it was done at a local shop, they may try and blame it on them instead.

-tires tread, if you have bald or noticeable wear that may indicate aggressive driving they may use that against you too.

wow there goes another one ... at this rate the MS3 will be extinct

Last edited:
maybe i'm missing something. if your car is modded and it blew up why should someone else pay to fix it? is there more to this story?

maybe i'm missing something. if your car is modded and it blew up why should someone else pay to fix it? is there more to this story?

thats what im saying. you mod your car to hell and it blows so you look for someone else to pay for it? honestly dude, you sound like a dishonest sketch ball. having someone else pay for your **** up. you sound like your taking advice from every major bail out company out there.

to be fair it's been other people who have suggested dishonesty. the OP just asked about insurance covering it and if it's listed on your policy as covered you might as well take advantage of it. it's more than likely not covered and if it is you have to beware of rate increases. it will likely cost you more in the end but could get you out of putting up a big chunk of change now if it is listed on your policy.

Probably not covered.

You modded, you blew it up, man up and buy/build another engine. Its a good time to go all out.

Technically you're at fault for blowing your engine. Get it rebuilt, get a tune. No insurance company I know of is going to pay for any damage to your vehicle other than comprehensive (deer, tree, tornado) and collision (someone hitting you, you totaling your car). Nowhere in there does it mention mechanical failure of any kind.. otherwise you would have heard about it a long time ago and insurance companies probably wouldn't be doing it anymore.

Last edited:
Definitely no coverage on any personal auto policy for a blown engine. Accidents trigger BI & PD, upset of the vehicle with another car or object triggers Collision and damage to the vehicle caused by something other than collision triggers Comprehensive coverage with includes flood, fire, theft, vandalism, glass etc.)

If my engine blows I just hope I still have enough rolling speed to head into a tree or quard rail and total it. A nice side swipe all the way up the side adds up quick.

I hydro locked my ms3 and paid $0.00, the insurance paid for the motor and Mazda paid my deductable because they damaged the drivers side door durring the install of the new motor.

Back