Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing belt replacement on 1.8 (2.0) Proteges

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIBalla23 View Post
    The i and e stamped on the cam gears face eachother
    The exhaust cam is the one closest to the front of the car, so that cam has the e on it and next to that e is a notch, make that face the intake cam marked i until both those letters and notches are horizontal to eachother
    Thanks, SIBalla!

The link doesn't work...

ASE Certified Technician

2002 Mazda Protege ES

private message sent
    Black Mica 02 Protege ES-T aka TurboMatic

Current Mods:
    shaved side moldings-powdercoated black valve cover-mazda front lip-20% tint-slp hood
    Dual two 12" subwoofers- power akoustic amp
    Garret gt25r turbo 6psi-steedspeed exhaust mani-corksport s&j pipe-MAM midpipe w/ highflow cat-Racing Beat catback exhaust-kartboy exhaust hangers-
    turbohoses smic,sri and intercooler pipings- forge bpv-hks ssqv- begi rrfpr-flyin miata o2 clamp- sls side and front motor mounts-lentech street terminator valvebody-B&M trans cooler
    autometer a/f wideband, boost-trans and oil temp, oil pressure-
    brembo cross drilled/slotted rotors-axxis metal master pads-motegi mr7 rims(chrome)-pirelli p zero nero m+s 205/45/16-tokico hp-goldline springs

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

2006 Mazda Speed6

is that the position that it supposed to be right?
    06 Speed6 - Titanium Silver- #05750 -Fujita 5 CAI -AEM Dry Flow 21-202DK w/ AEM Filter Wrap

Quote Originally Posted by prof15 View Post
    Yes!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Lol, he wouldn't give you a pic of the wrong way to install the belt

Registered Member

That's the 2.0 (FS) motor cam positions.

Thanks for the EXCELLENT pic!

2006 Mazda Speed6

Quote Originally Posted by slavrenz View Post
    Lol, he wouldn't give you a pic of the wrong way to install the belt
    I just wanted to make sure..lol because for some reason I thought the big marks were the ones that had to be aligned and didnt realize about the actuall mark.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

I just wanted to make sure..lol because for some reason I thought the big marks were the ones that had to be aligned and didnt realize about the actuall mark.
    The "big" marks are no marks at all, they are actually cam sensor trigger notches...

Registered Member

UPDATE!

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    My virtual hat is off to you. We positioned the alignment marks a bit BELOW "horizontal" because otherwise, the lines would be well ABOVE horizontal... this is a factor, it seems is caused by the slack/distance between the cams and the "newness" of the belt.

We chose to go "below" horizontal because as the belt wears/stretches, the marks will tend to align more closely.

The car was assembled and I can attest, it has NEVER run this well in the 40k miles we've owned it.

Thanks to ALL!

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

I'm glad everything worked out for you. And yes, you want to position the marks slightly low when you install the belt - when you hook up the tensioner, the tension will cause those marks to be pulled level.

Registered Member mexicansoljah81's Avatar

'13 Mazdaspeed3

getting the same thing done to my car right now as we speak, sensor and timing belt replaced plus some coil packs. All start off with some misfire events while driving. So far 2000 bucks will be spent to trouble shoot the random misfires.

Timing belt was due anyways so might as well get that done now, especially when the zoom zoom has 96000 miles on it right now.
    2013 Mazdaspeed3 with Tech Pkg

Donated: $40

04 MSM, Turbo'd 02 Protege 5, 09 Tribute, 1976 XL 175

Quote Originally Posted by mexicansoljah81 View Post
    getting the same thing done to my car right now as we speak, sensor and timing belt replaced plus some coil packs. All start off with some misfire events while driving. So far 2000 bucks will be spent to trouble shoot the random misfires.

Timing belt was due anyways so might as well get that done now, especially when the zoom zoom has 96000 miles on it right now.
    $2000????? oh my...timing belt isn't due till 105k...what are they charging you for, i mean you could get a new motor for that money? wow

Registered Member mexicansoljah81's Avatar

'13 Mazdaspeed3

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka joe View Post
    $2000????? oh my...timing belt isn't due till 105k...what are they charging you for, i mean you could get a new motor for that money? wow
    thats the total right now. had a few diagnostic checks, full tune up, right now timing belt and some ignition coils replaced. mech said timing belt needs to get replaced especially since leak near some sensor is starting to show and I should get sensor replaced with timing belt. Some sensor that senses timing belt, i guess. Forgot the name. All this to trouble shoot the random misfire thats going on while i drive.

Donated: $40

04 MSM, Turbo'd 02 Protege 5, 09 Tribute, 1976 XL 175

either i'm missing something or your getting really screwed....the timing belt/water pump at the most should be 600-700...tune up, plugs wires, coil packs, what another 100? throw in anew egr...even if it was 1000...what in the world could he be doing to be at 2k, and your not done??:confused:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast