Engine mount leak??

Thanks THEMAN! also i want to know is it only the P5 has this fluid filled side mount?? cause almost everyone thinks it's just runbber inserts. anyway just ordered the P5 side mount cause mines is a autotragic. Hope the install goes smooth. Btw TheMan are you a Mazda Master Tech?? Cause even my local parts dealer thinks the side mount is NOT fluid filled.

ding ding ding!

that is the CORRECT way to do it! no need to waste time or sweat your ass off with no crowbar s***!

the MSP mount is an upgrade if you drive a stick

Until someone cuts open a mount that can be verified as stock and post pics, I still don't think that any of the mounts are fluid filled.

My passenger side recently tore, and I can verify that it was liquid filled. I have that same nasty brown fluid all over it. If I can work around all the blocked sites at work, I'll get some pics up.

Found the camera (yeah!)

Sorry it's a little blurry- it's hard to get a picture of that spot!

Wildo,

I don't think fluid is causing that. Our Protege5 is doing it in the same spot and there is NO fluid leaking in that area. However, when I checked inside the fenderwell there is a seem that is welded right there that you can see stains from where rust is leaking out through it (with the help of water) and I think that is what's causing it.

I ordered some POR15 so I can attack the rust when I get the product. My plan is to knock away as much rust as I can, clean it, and seal it with the POR15 inside the engine bay. For the fender well I'm going to try to look for a sealent that can cling to the crap Mazda sprays in there. Eastwood offers a rust encapsulating liquid that might just do the job!

Will it fix the problem entirely? No. Will it hopefully slow it down? That's the plan!

ding ding ding!

that is the CORRECT way to do it! no need to waste time or sweat your ass off with no crowbar s***!

the MSP mount is an upgrade if you drive a stick

Any idea how or where to find this mount? I've tried searching through Mazda parts websites and I can only find the base Protege mounts in there.

My passenger side recently tore, and I can verify that it was liquid filled. I have that same nasty brown fluid all over it. If I can work around all the blocked sites at work, I'll get some pics up.

You might be able to verify that it was liquid filled, but have you owned the car since it was new, or can verify that the mount was stock some other way? Just saying "I know the mount was OEM" isn't proof enough for me ;)

Wildo,

I don't think fluid is causing that. Our Protege5 is doing it in the same spot and there is NO fluid leaking in that area. However, when I checked inside the fenderwell there is a seem that is welded right there that you can see stains from where rust is leaking out through it (with the help of water) and I think that is what's causing it.

I ordered some POR15 so I can attack the rust when I get the product. My plan is to knock away as much rust as I can, clean it, and seal it with the POR15 inside the engine bay. For the fender well I'm going to try to look for a sealent that can cling to the crap Mazda sprays in there. Eastwood offers a rust encapsulating liquid that might just do the job!

Will it fix the problem entirely? No. Will it hopefully slow it down? That's the plan!

I have this exact same problem in the exact same spot, but I don't have any rust in my wheel well. I find it weird that of all the welds, only this one would rust inside the engine bay.

My car is one owner, and only have 46,000 miles on it.

You might be able to verify that it was liquid filled, but have you owned the car since it was new, or can verify that the mount was stock some other way? Just saying "I know the mount was OEM" isn't proof enough for me ;)

same s*** in my engine bay and mines is white=( thinking its the power steering or the motor mount. all i know that it dont come out off the paint. so who has answers?

I bought the P5 brand new in December of 2001 from Browning Mazda in the Cerritos Auto Square. All mounts are OEM. Although I have not experienced the issue of rust.

Yes there is fluid inside i went for and oil change yesterday and i was told my motor mount #3 is leaking and needs to be replaced soon. good luck!

I have this exact same problem in the exact same spot, but I don't have any rust in my wheel well. I find it weird that of all the welds, only this one would rust inside the engine bay.

The only rust in the wheel well ours has is because it's washing out through a seem in the wheel well. It's probably rusted through at this point as the rust is really nasty.

I'll do a write-up and take some pictures once I get this done. It'll more than likely be done the weekend after the one coming up as the POR15 just shipped out yesterday.

Just an update. I have received my replacement mount from Jason at Mazdapart(Best mazda parts online). It also have fluids inside,so i'm pretty sure our passenger side mount has fluid inside.
Also about that fluid stain, i try to clean it the next day with engine degreaser, and got most of it out. But still some oil stain left behind that cannot be removed. So hope to install it this sunday, and post a pic of the damage mount.

They are definately fluid filled on the pass side from the factory. It's not an uncommon practice at all. Honda and Toyota both use them in certain applications as well. Many accords have fluid filled mounts. Mine just recently burst on me as well. It's an ugly brownish fluid that leaks out. Now I am in the market for a full set of aftermarket stuff.

Back