What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Not today, but yesterday, got the new AC belt put on, so I can has defrost again :) TODAY she turned 204K on the way to work, almost oil change time, AGAIN....

Wow, lots 'o miles. Ours was built seven years ago, bought 6.5 ago: only 70K miles. A LONG way to go if my wife stays in love with it.

Heard from the insurance company today. They are going to fix it. A little over 5 grand.

The Tour Bus is back on the road.
tourbus1.jpg

Bought more crap that I don't need

Pick up a cargo cover off Craigslist. Never had the need/desire for one (tint is sufficient) but I must admit it came out better than expected. It cuts off the open trunk and makes the car more of a 4 seater wagon. I like it. $20 well spent.

IIRC, there was a discussion on storage. I find it fits PERFECTY right behind the 2nd row chairs. You do have to move 2nd row chairs up an inch or so but with the 3rd row down and the cover tucked away, I don't even notice it.

Changed ATF this evening. Meant to take a sample for the lab but didn't. Looked pretty brown. Most likely factory fill (32K miles).

Changed ATF this evening. Meant to take a sample for the lab but didn't. Looked pretty brown. Most likely factory fill (32K miles).

Did you do just a drain and fill or did you flush out all 9 quarts? Drain and fill will only get you about 3 quarts. You'd have to do this 3-4 consecutive times in order to get the bulk of your fluid changed out.

Did you do just a drain and fill or did you flush out all 9 quarts? Drain and fill will only get you about 3 quarts. You'd have to do this 3-4 consecutive times in order to get the bulk of your fluid changed out.

Just a drain and fill (about 4 qts.) this time.

I picked up my (new to me) 5, Friday last week. It's a great car, looks like it's going to do everything I need it to. Not sure what my first 'mod' will be but have a few things to 'fix' first.

It's a 2007, Sport in True Silver

I let my wife drive it... And after she told me how I need to change my personalized plates. I guess she forgot about them...(drive2)

This past Saturday finally got the front brakes done, new rotors and pads. Didn't have any trouble at all getting the old rotors off (thank god) I was prepared for a battle so that came as a pleasant surprise. Still getting used to how quiet and smooth she stops without two horribly warped rotors in the front :) Of course now I've gotta get the rear rotors done as they are making noise also....

This past Saturday finally got the front brakes done, new rotors and pads. Didn't have any trouble at all getting the old rotors off (thank god) I was prepared for a battle so that came as a pleasant surprise. Still getting used to how quiet and smooth she stops without two horribly warped rotors in the front :) Of course now I've gotta get the rear rotors done as they are making noise also....

Too funny, looks like you and I were doing the same thing at the same time (perhaps, maybe not because of the time difference). I started at about 2:00pm PST and finished at about 4:00pm after taking them apart, going to get replacement parts, re-treading the beginning of one stud because I accidentally smacked it when taking the rotors off (yes, I did a newbie move of not putting a lug nut on the stud prior to going at it) and putting everything back together. I got my FREE replacement of brand new Wagner Ceramic pads thanks to the lifetime warranty and bought two new regular OEM spec rotors from O'Reilly. After the coupon I had, $110 for both rotors including tax. So all in all $110 for a brand new set of pads and rotors up front, not a bad deal. Next will be struts and top hats.

Does Illinois freak out if you stack them on top of one another? Davicho, that is a funny coincidence, given I've been needing to do the job for something like three months. I did steel wool the hubs and paint them with Rustoleum Rust Reformer in the hopes of staving off future rust. Although I doubt I'll ever need to replace the rotors again in the front, these lasted 205,000 miles!

Started replacing the brake pads and rotors on my 5 today. Got the pads and rotors in the mail months ago but hadn't gotten around to actually changing them until today. Spent much of the day running around trying to get all the tools and equipment I needed, so I didn't get started until late in the day. Just managed to do the rears tonight before the sun went down. I'll tackle the fronts in the morning. Need new guide pins on the rear at least. I'll probably use the wife's car to go get enough for the whole car and just return what I need tomorrow. Interestingly the right side of the rear was more worn, especially the inside pad. I'm going to post a write-up in the brake forum tomorrow once I'm done.

Feel any different?

Switched back to non-ethanol gas after running a few tanks of "up to 10% ethanol" gas. Gas mileage went back up, starting got better, part throttle response is back to normal now.

Latest posts

Back