Shift Solenoid Problem Information (Error Code P0763)

Hey,

New to this fourm as I haven't had a problem with my 2003 Mazda Protege ES in the 6 years and 145,000km I've owned it.

I'm now getting a solid Check Engine light on with an intermittantly flashing AT (Automatic Transaxle) light. When hooked up to a computer, the car is reporting error code: P0763 - "Shift Solenoid 'C' Electrical"

The car has an Automatic Transmission.

The symtom is almost as if the car is intermittantly driving with what feels like the parking brake on and hesitating switching gears. I have noticed this so far in reverse and in 1st gear. I'm not sure at this point if it extends any higher than 1st.

Has anyone out there had this problem and/or know what's involved in fixing it?
Is this solenoid internal or external to the transmission?
Does the transmission need to be completely replaced?

What's the cost for this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Very similar

I have been having a very similar problem on my g/f 2002 P5.

At first it started throwing a "camshaft sensor electrical" then started with P0773 "Shift solenoid E electrical"

I have traced through the circuit from solenoid E to the PCM per the workshop manual and it all checked out.

So now 10 days later P0768 "Shift solenoid D electrical" pops up.

This seems to cause a shifting problem sometimes it downshifts 1 or 2 and the time I tested everything it was consistently having problems just cruise it would start trying to shift.(argh)

So have you had any luck with figuring out the problem if it wasn't just to replace the solenoid?

I am having a peculiar problem with my 2002 protege. I have a 2002 ES 2.0 Protege with the tiptronic automatic transmission. When I am on the highway at any speed over 70MPH the AT light on the dash begins flashing. It will flash for a random duration then the transmission will downshift. I put the trans in the manual mode to see if it would still happen and it does. When the AT light begins to flash and the trans is in manual mode both the "D" and the "M" in the dash become boxed and the gear box goes blank. Then after a random duration (usually around 30+ seconds) there is a slight jolt and then the transmission drops into 3rd.

Still not sure why, only other thing I know is wrong with the car is both rear ABS sensors (both ABS and brake lights stay on, and I ran the codes). I have ordered those but I dont think they will relate to my transmission problem

i am not sure which thing fixed the problem but...I had the trans fluid changed replaced the ABS sensors in the rear and put on a new TPS sensor and MAP sensor.

The TPS sensor was recommended by a local shop, something they had seen to fix similar problems. I just got a used one from a local pick and pull. But I bought new rear ABS sensors.

I am also having this issue, I have a 2003 protege 5 automatic. My mechanic says its my shift solenoid.
All of what people have posted are the exact issues. Have not fixed the problem but was quoted around $160ish for the part. Labor yet to be determined. I will update how it turned out and total cost.

I am also having this issue, I have a 2003 protege 5 automatic. My mechanic says its my shift solenoid.
All of what people have posted are the exact issues. Have not fixed the problem but was quoted around $160ish for the part. Labor yet to be determined. I will update how it turned out and total cost.

What was the eventual resolution? I have the P0767 solenoid D stuck ON, and have not seen many clear resolutions to it. Some have replaced the solenoid and not had that fix the problem. Wondering if you had any luck?

Back