Steering Wheel Grinding?

:
11 MS3 Sport
I didn't know where to post this, and i'm sure the title has you scratching your head...

I noticed it a couple weeks ago that my gf's CX-7 FWD Sport's steering wheel makes a weird grind as it turns while the car is at a standstill or at slow speed. When I was backing the car up into the parking spot, it makes a grinding sound near the steering wheel, as if it's rubbing against something.

Apparently, ever since then, it's been getting louder and louder. I tried searching and didn't find anything. Any ideas?

Did you find out what the problem was? My Mazda is doing this and the dealer can't find the problem. Thanks

We have it in our CX7 too now but it doesn't seem to do anything...just an odd noise. Almost like a grinding/groaning noise.

I have never had any ambition to even look at FWD steering! I have heard it is a pain... Good luck and let us know what you find out! However, if it were mine, I would start with the power steering pump and move towards the linkage making sure no seals or rubber is damaged or leaking.

Last edited:
Back