HOW TO: Protege Garage Turbo Inlet Install

TheDoc

:
2008 Mazda Speed 3
Okay, so I got my Protege Garage turbo inlet installed over the weekend, and figured I'd do a little write-up on it.

Tools/Materials Required
1. 10mm rachet (You're working on a Mazda, after all)
2. Needle nose pliers
3. Flathead screwdriver

Everything else is supplied from Protege Garage.

18617489.jpg

The package comes with the pipe, brass nipple for the boost solenoid, silicone reducer, vaccum hose, and clamps.

Step 1
Remove the battery box.
11701711.jpg
Take off the battery cover, use your 10mm rachet to remove the battery hold down and the flathead screwdriver to unclip the ECU harness. Remove the positive and negative battery cables, pull the hold down off, and get the battery out of the way.

Use the rachet to remove the battery box bolts and pull the box out.

Step 2
Remove the inlet
33290345.jpg
The inlet is held on with a mounting bolt up top, near the intake. There is also a line running to the boost solenoid you'll need to remove from down near the turbo. There is a single, 10mm band clamp running around the turbo. After removing all three of those pieces, remove the intake and recirc hose if you have one.

When you pull off the inlet, be sure to pull the sleeve off of the grommet as you'll be reusing it. Give it a good yank and it'll all come out.

Say hello to your turbo.

49978704.jpg

81714163.jpg

Step 3
Transfer the hardware
95260296.jpg
Remove the rubber grommet from the stock inlet, and press it into the Protege Garage inlet. You will also need to remove the line that runs from the inlet to the boost solenoid and replace it with the supplied hose that came included with your kit.

Step 4
Install the new inlet
29955309.jpg
The easiest way to get the new inlet on is to remove the reducer from the new inlet pipe and put it on the turbo along with the band clamps. Slide the inlet onto the mounting stud (the same place where the stock piece came off), and tighten down the 10mm nut. Then finally meet the inlet pipe up to the turbo. It all kind of natually happens if you do it in that order- if you don't do it in that order... you wind up in a really frustrating situation.

Reconnect your intake and recirc hose, along with affixing the other end of the vaccum hose to the brass nipple. And voila. All done.

Finally installed:
49373415.jpg

At idle:
10a.jpg

The whole thing turned out great. Install took about an hour and a half between the taking pictures, some trial and error things, and playing around with a few other issues I'd been meaning to work out.. but it's all on, the car's running great. You can check out some impressions of it here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123744439

I want to thank Ken for getting this part to me. It's an absolutely awesome value for the money, and I'm glad to have it on.

11au.jpg

Nice write-up Doc, and really nice product Ken! I don't know why anyone else would want to waste their money on a CP-E or Cobb inlet anymore.

nice write up, I'm not so technically inclined but I think even I can do this.

btw I kind of copied your idea where the protegegarage sticker went on that triangle window.

nice write up, I'm not so technically inclined but I think even I can do this.

btw I kind of copied your idea where the protegegarage sticker went on that triangle window.

That's awesome, man. Post up some pictures.

Dam, I didnt get the hose that runs to the silenoid... I have to put it all back together and go to the store to get one. This sucks!

Ok, got a hose myself. Installed. Pretty easy just a bunch of BS to get that battery box out. Car runs awesome though! Turbo seems to spool right up!

Ok, installed mine yesterday. Small hick-up but no big deal. Really wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I have heard the inlet is a real PITA in the MS3 as it doesnt have the room under the hood like the MS6. Getting the battery box out was time consuming but not hard. I ended up using my power drill with a philips bit, that helped a lot to get that wiring harness off the box. Everything else was easy. I ran into a little bit of a problem with the mouting point till I realized a hose had gotten in the way. All in all took about an hour or so. I went back through 3 times to make sure the clamps were straight and tight and everything was lined up properly. Injen still lined up nice and looks clean. Gave me a chance to clean some spots under the hood I normally couldnt get to.

Reaction... WOW! The sound is incredible, really like it. BPV has a little different characteristics it seems but sounds great! The turbo comes on so much faster in 2nd and 3rd. Really pleased.

Also, to rest anyones notion that this is a thrown together after thought. This peice is really top notch. I was very impressed with the metal quality and the build quality. The weld is ugly but looks extremely strong. The inlet in general is still FAR BETTER estetically than the stocker anyway so all works well. Just make sure you get the silenoid hose. If you dont have it go get one before you start the install. A FT was only .82.

Great product, thanks! Motor on!!!

Ok, installed mine yesterday. Small hick-up but no big deal. Really wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. I have heard the inlet is a real PITA in the MS3 as it doesnt have the room under the hood like the MS6. Getting the battery box out was time consuming but not hard. I ended up using my power drill with a philips bit, that helped a lot to get that wiring harness off the box. Everything else was easy. I ran into a little bit of a problem with the mouting point till I realized a hose had gotten in the way. All in all took about an hour or so. I went back through 3 times to make sure the clamps were straight and tight and everything was lined up properly. Injen still lined up nice and looks clean. Gave me a chance to clean some spots under the hood I normally couldnt get to.

Reaction... WOW! The sound is incredible, really like it. BPV has a little different characteristics it seems but sounds great! The turbo comes on so much faster in 2nd and 3rd. Really pleased.

Also, to rest anyones notion that this is a thrown together after thought. This peice is really top notch. I was very impressed with the metal quality and the build quality. The weld is ugly but looks extremely strong. The inlet in general is still FAR BETTER estetically than the stocker anyway so all works well. Just make sure you get the silenoid hose. If you dont have it go get one before you start the install. A FT was only .82.

Great product, thanks! Motor on!!!

excellent write up, thank you

I have mine at the ready and after reading this i think i am going to dive in. Thanks Doc and Ken

I'm in the process of installing now. Need to wait for my friend to come over with his ratchet set though, I didn't realize how crappy mine is. How do you guys think she'll run with an inlet but stock intake? Because I'm just waiting for my nano to arrive and I figured why not put the inlet on first?

how the **** do you take the battery box out? It won't move! Is the wiring on the lower left side all supposed to come out as one? I freed up the bolts in the battery box, but the fucker won't come out! I've spent an hour and a half already on this damn thing.

Back