what mileage to switch to synthetic

18psiWhiteMS3

Banned
:
2009 MazdaSpeed3
i have 2000 miles on my car now. i did everything in my sig to it at 500 miles so been running it pretty hard for about 1000 miles. no digs, just a lot of HIGHway WOT runs. is my car broken in enough to switch to synthetic??? This will be my first oil change. Whats a good mileage to change?

i switched to synth @ 1500. you're safe as kittens. get that factory sludge out of there this weekend.

Last edited:
I switched at 3,064. Then Mazda messed up big time and got me back on syn blend at 5000 ((argh)(eekfu)(321fu)) so at 8K I'll go back to full syn.

Generally speaking, it only takes a few hundred miles to break an engine in from new. By the time you get to 1k, you're golden to switch to synthetic.

If you want to do some reading on different types and brands of oil, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ is chock full of good detail.

the owner's manual says break-in process is done at 600 mi. that's when i dumped the factory fill and started the patient on a full-synth diet. patient seems to be responding well.

pennzoil platinum 5w-30 seems to be the flavor du jour among our cadre of MS3 nuts. happy motoring. (drive)

I went to penzoil platinum 5w-30 at my first oil change around 2200 miles.

Read up at Bob is the oil guy and you will find more about oil than youd ever want to know.

whatever you decide to go with just make sure you change your oil regularly and you will be fine.

i have 2000 miles on my car now. i did everything in my sig to it at 500 miles so been running it pretty hard for about 1000 miles. no digs, just a lot of HIGHway WOT runs. is my car broken in enough to switch to synthetic??? This will be my first oil change. Whats a good mileage to change?

Change now. Full synthetic 5w-30.

You'd be surprised at what ends up in your oil during the break in period, which is over by 600 miles, by then if you have varied your driving speeds and rpms, the piston rings have fully seated and created that nice cross-hatch pattern in the cylinder walls that helps keep micro-deposits of oil in place, and the surface layers of metals on the bearings are micro-polished and the residue is floating around in your oil. You need to get that stuff out. With your mods, you probably should have changed it already, but no harm.

These engines are notorious for fuel contamination of the oil due to the pig rich AFR's and unburned fuel getting past the rings and down into the crankcase. Gasoline is abrasive -- terrible lubricant!

3000 mile max between future oil changes. Use a good filter, and raise hell with your car. She'll be ready.

BTW: Just on a purely personal note, I'm not a big RP fan for daily drivers. Great for race prepped track cars, though.

anyone recommend a certain brand of oil. Was gona go with Mobil 1 but with our cars being so picky with what it likes for oil I figured I'd ask.

I heard a rumor that Mazda doesn't support synthetic oil in the MS3's. Is this true? Is it possible that it could void the warranty?

I heard a rumor that Mazda doesn't support synthetic oil in the MS3's. Is this true? Is it possible that it could void the warranty?

the one time i had my oil changed at the dealership (needed warranty work as well), i handed the service guy my 6 qts of pp 5w30 and filter. i did not get blacklisted to the best of my knowledge.

it's a turbo. you better be putting synthetic in there.

Back