Goodyear Eagle GT vs Kuhmo Ecsta ASX

Mike240SX

:
1994 Mazda NA Miata M-Edition
My stockers are just about worn out (and one has developed a slow leak with no punctures), and I'm in no position to get new wheels and run a dedicated winter setup separate from summer tires, so I'm in the market for a high-performance all-season. Where I am we get just enough snow to justify it...this past winter even with 1-2" on the ground was scary with the RE050s, and not driving in it is not an option for me (hooray for being considered "essential personnel" at work).

With sections in the stock size being limited, I've narrowed it down to these two. Anyone have any experience or input, or alternative suggestions? Not really looking to spend more than $125 per tire.

I would look into Continental ContiExtremeContacts... good price, well rated tire... we almost bought a set for out 6, but we wanted something that lasts a bit longer so we went with a Yokohama YK520... they're "alright"

won't 225/40s (more common tire size = lower prices) fit the stock wheels?

as far as all-seasons, i heard they still suck in snow on our beast. i got my 16 inch winter set up for $200 (craigslist & ebay for lightly used graspics and discount tire for steelies). my 2 cents.

also, what do cops think of the speed? please tell me you don't rave about our sleeper at work!

I picked the Eagle GTs over the ASXs on TireRacks' test advise- the GTs had superior wet weather performance. And the GTs have the bonus of being the same actual size as the stock tires. Most 215/45s are smaller diameter, and 225/40s are much smaller diameter. The car is already undergeared and I didn't want to make it worse.

I am reasonably happy with them. They stick about as well as the stock tires and they are better in the wet. They ride a little quieter on my rough roads. We get up to a couple inches of snow here most years but last winter I only drove in the snow once so I didn't get to really test out the light snow performance. Can't be worse than the stock tires though! The GTs are lasting a lot longer. My stockers were noticeably worn after 8k miles. I have 10k on the GTs and they don't appear to have worn much. (but I haven't measured)

The one place where the GTs fall behind the stock tires is in feel. They feel a bit dead on initial turn in. The stock tires are so responsive to small steering movements that the car feels almost too twitchy. The GTs dull that off-center response quite a bit.

All said, I will probably buy another set of GTs when these wear out.

I also got the GTs

My stockers are just about worn out (and one has developed a slow leak with no punctures), and I'm in no position to get new wheels and run a dedicated winter setup separate from summer tires, so I'm in the market for a high-performance all-season. Where I am we get just enough snow to justify it...this past winter even with 1-2" on the ground was scary with the RE050s, and not driving in it is not an option for me (hooray for being considered "essential personnel" at work).

With sections in the stock size being limited, I've narrowed it down to these two. Anyone have any experience or input, or alternative suggestions? Not really looking to spend more than $125 per tire.

I had Pirelli Pzero Neros and they wore out in 17,000 miles. I got the GT's based on Tire Rack test and my parts guy. At first I felt the on- center vagueness and some instability at speeds over 75. Turned out one of the fronts were off balance a bit. Once that was corrected they feel better than the Pirelli's. They also have a HUGE tire guard that gives them about 5mm extra width and the tire tread pattern is pretty aggressive and attractive.

General Exclain UHP's FTMFW! I'm currently running the Ecsta AST's and they're fantastic, though my Yoko S.Drive's were grippier.

I would look into Continental ContiExtremeContacts... good price, well rated tire... we almost bought a set for out 6, but we wanted something that lasts a bit longer so we went with a Yokohama YK520... they're "alright"
I agree. I have the Continentals and I really like them.(rockon)

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

I just purchased a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec from tirerack. These are new the USDM. I have had them for about 2 months now and i love them they are really grippy and much better than the stock tires. The Dunlops are rated just as good as the Advan Neova's. Just go easy on them for about the first 500 miles they tend to break loose very easily, they need to break in. After that they are super grippy. I have 225 45 R18 on my stock wheels. No rubbing issues. They are pretty cheap too $173 right now on tirerack

I just purchased a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec from tirerack. These are new the USDM. I have had them for about 2 months now and i love them they are really grippy and much better than the stock tires. The Dunlops are rated just as good as the Advan Neova's. Just go easy on them for about the first 500 miles they tend to break loose very easily, they need to break in. After that they are super grippy. I have 225 45 R18 on my stock wheels. No rubbing issues. They are pretty cheap too $173 right now on tirerack

Uh, news flash:

The Z1 Star Spec is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being in the same class as the tires that are being discussed in this thread...

They're a summer-only AutoX/Time Attack tire. (screwy)

Yeah but there a killer tire at 173 for 225/45/18 which is the best size for stock rims. Thats what I'm going with.

I would definitely go with the Eagle GT vs. the Kumho ASX based on the reviews i've seen. As others have said, the GT has good dry performance, superior wet performance, light snow capability, and an attractive tread pattern to boot. Once my stockers wear out, I'm thinking of getting the GTs. For the price, i think its one of the best tires you can buy.

Anyone tried the GTs at 225/45/18?

I've got the Eagle GTs too. They're ok and much better in the rain than the stock Potenza's. But here in San Diego, I really miss those Potenza's!

i just put on the kuhmo's and they feel pretty floaty compared to my summer falken 452s but living in NE i needed some all seasons to at least give me a little bit of traction in the winter. so far they feel really grippy....but like i said the side wall doesnt hold up on the initial cut of the wheel. thats expected though. so far with 20 miles on the tires im not at all displeased with them. they look alright too. the tread pattern shows some potential in wet weather with nice deep grooves for the water to grab and some nice outlets for the water to pushed away from the tire. ill keep you informed as i ride them more and more.

by the way i got the tires for under 100 bucks a piece so the price couldnt be beat!

i just put on the kuhmo's and they feel pretty floaty compared to my summer falken 452s but living in NE i needed some all seasons to at least give me a little bit of traction in the winter. so far they feel really grippy....but like i said the side wall doesnt hold up on the initial cut of the wheel. thats expected though. so far with 20 miles on the tires im not at all displeased with them. they look alright too. the tread pattern shows some potential in wet weather with nice deep grooves for the water to grab and some nice outlets for the water to pushed away from the tire. ill keep you informed as i ride them more and more.

by the way i got the tires for under 100 bucks a piece so the price couldnt be beat!
Wait for the tires to break in a little more. It took my BFG's G-Force Sports a little more than a week to break in.

Wait for the tires to break in a little more. It took my BFG's G-Force Sports a little more than a week to break in.

i was going to buy the gforce sports too. i hope they do. i honestly almost want to go back and pay more for a tire that wont get me through the snow. i miss the rock solid side wall with the super glue compound already. lol. practicality is a hard thing to go through in a sports car. haha

Back