Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Manual transmission, shifting!

Registered Member

1-3-5

Maybe it's because I'm an old fogie. I shift 1-3-5, and cruise at 60kmh(in the city). I found that's saves the most gas. I did an experiment, one tank fast acceleration to legal speed limit, lots of passing on the highway etc. Then one tank with 1-3-5(no bogging), and steady cruising on the highway. I got about 30% better fuel economy. I still open her open once in a while, I'm not that old

2004 'Hoe

passing usually involves a lot accelerating and decelerating.. thats exactly what I would expect. I skip gears sometimes getting onto freeways, but its usually because I had fun winding one gear out and don't need to accelerate anymore. lol

2003.5 MSP Titanium Grey #1421 - SOLD
    1994 Chevy Blazer 6.5TD - Traded
    2006 GTO Quicksilver Metallic LS2/M6 - 426hp/416tq - SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 - SOLD
    2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid hauler
    1999 Chevy Camaro - Toy

Mystery Flavor

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    passing usually involves a lot accelerating and decelerating.. thats exactly what I would expect. I skip gears sometimes getting onto freeways, but its usually because I had fun winding one gear out and don't need to accelerate anymore. lol
    1-2-5 FTW

1986 Mazda RX-7 Base, 2011 Mazda 2 Touring

Items For Sale
    My 1-2 shift is usually between 3500-4000 RPM and all others are 3000-3500 RPM for regular driving. Also, I will never cruise along in this car below 2500 RPM unless I have to (second gear in a parking lot, for example). I truly believe these cars are most efficient between 2500-3000 RPM so puttering around below or staying up high aren't helping you at all. If you're cruising too low you will either have to mash the gas more or downshift to accelerate - both burning more fuel. Also, if you're zooming down the road at 5000 RPM you're just burning off fuel. Remember, above a certain RPM the ECU automatically throws the car in open loop despite engine load and will start dumping fuel. I've said this many times before but I really wish I had an engine map for the FSDE - they're so easy to find for just about any diesel engine so why not gasoline? FWIW, mpg is not a true measure of an engine's efficiency - what you would need to do would measure the fuel consumption mass per unit time per unit power (specific fuel consumption). In the aviation industry we measure engine efficiency in lb fuel (mass) per hour (time) per lb thrust (force).

'13 Ford Flex Limited w/ Ecoboost - Vacationer/hauler
    '11 Mazda 2 Touring - DD
    '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI - Wife's
    '86 Mazda RX-7 Base - Project
    '09 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 - SOLD
    '02 Mazda Protege5 - (Turbocharged, 215 whp, 220 wtq) - SOLD
    '01 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L (wife's) - SOLD
    '89 Mazda RX-7 GXL - SOLD
    '86 Toyota Pickup 2WD (DD/Hauler) - SOLD

2004 'Hoe

thats basically fuel consumption/hp.... thats literal efficiency. Most people don't care so much about that because MPG is the number you can translate to what comes out of your pocket...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

1986 Mazda RX-7 Base, 2011 Mazda 2 Touring

Items For Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    thats basically fuel consumption/hp.... thats literal efficiency. Most people don't care so much about that because MPG is the number you can translate to what comes out of your pocket...
    It is, but I just get sick of people going on about how efficient some car's engine is just because it gets good fuel economy. Show me a car that can do 40 mpg while making 300 hp and I'll be impressed...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2004 'Hoe

well, a turbo is basically designed to assist in just that... its power on demand... fuel efficiency when you want that, and the ability to make big power when you want that instead. The real limit is engineering, and the simple fact that burning of fossil fuels isn't very efficient to begin with...

Registered Member

2002 Mazda Protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by br289165 View Post
    Snatch gears?
    Shifting without the clutch

Mystery Flavor

2003 Protege5

i find myself granny shifting on a regul4r b4s15.

2004 'Hoe

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCherry View Post
    Shifting without the clutch
    I would think it'd be a lil rough on the syncros... but I know a tow truck driver that had like 250K+ on his rig, and he did it.

2002 Protege 5

pedal to the metal all the time.

even when I'm hitting the brakes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123