Manual transmission, shifting!

first time in my life I've heard the MSP axelback described as loud... lol. For the record, when I was driving all over the state I was averaging the same economy with a turbo, averaging 75 mph.

well the cars ive driven up til now, have been cars with pretty quiet exhausts. RSX type S with a Fujitsubo RMO1A which is very quiet, a Civic with a Greddy SP2 and a GS300 with a Tanabe Medallion touring exhaust which all were quite quiet. so this is loud compared to those in the 3K range.

i have the mazdaspeed axle back and it isnt loud at all. i dunno why so many people on this site claim that axleback is loud and droney. (chair)

its not loud but its louder than what im used to hearing.

I dare say the SP2 is noticably louder, let alone the tanabe.... no experience with fujitsubo... but... idk are you running the complete factory MSP system or are there other mods? if you've changed out the cats then I guess I'd understand a little better...

no its just the axleback on my pro5. but honestly to me its loud, may not seem loud to others but i think its loud.

and yea the sp2 and the tanabe were pretty quiet. Its loud when you get higher up in the rpms but at low and idle they were pretty quiet to me.

i shift at 3k for daily driving. is it bad to put the car in "neutral" an then just cruise down the road? cuz i do that alot lol....

I tried shifting at 2500 and it just felt wrong. Do you feel that is more efficient?

LOL, ya you're not gonna have any balls behind you when you shift this low, but its great for gas mileage... Just take it up to 6k every shift. That will feel juuusssstttt right! (smoke)

i shift at 3k for daily driving. is it bad to put the car in "neutral" an then just cruise down the road? cuz i do that alot lol....

No, this is good for gas mileage as well, especially effective if on a decline. I believe this is one of the major components of hyper milling.

Last edited:
Ha sounds sick guys, and also is it bad to take it out of a gear and put it in neutral without using the clutch cause I do that a lot 0:].

Anyone snatch gears for fun?

1-3-5

Maybe it's because I'm an old fogie. I shift 1-3-5, and cruise at 60kmh(in the city). I found that's saves the most gas. I did an experiment, one tank fast acceleration to legal speed limit, lots of passing on the highway etc. Then one tank with 1-3-5(no bogging), and steady cruising on the highway. I got about 30% better fuel economy. I still open her open once in a while, I'm not that old(burnout)

passing usually involves a lot accelerating and decelerating.. thats exactly what I would expect. I skip gears sometimes getting onto freeways, but its usually because I had fun winding one gear out and don't need to accelerate anymore. lol

My 1-2 shift is usually between 3500-4000 RPM and all others are 3000-3500 RPM for regular driving. Also, I will never cruise along in this car below 2500 RPM unless I have to (second gear in a parking lot, for example). I truly believe these cars are most efficient between 2500-3000 RPM so puttering around below or staying up high aren't helping you at all. If you're cruising too low you will either have to mash the gas more or downshift to accelerate - both burning more fuel. Also, if you're zooming down the road at 5000 RPM you're just burning off fuel. Remember, above a certain RPM the ECU automatically throws the car in open loop despite engine load and will start dumping fuel. I've said this many times before but I really wish I had an engine map for the FSDE - they're so easy to find for just about any diesel engine so why not gasoline? FWIW, mpg is not a true measure of an engine's efficiency - what you would need to do would measure the fuel consumption mass per unit time per unit power (specific fuel consumption). In the aviation industry we measure engine efficiency in lb fuel (mass) per hour (time) per lb thrust (force).

thats basically fuel consumption/hp.... thats literal efficiency. Most people don't care so much about that because MPG is the number you can translate to what comes out of your pocket...

thats basically fuel consumption/hp.... thats literal efficiency. Most people don't care so much about that because MPG is the number you can translate to what comes out of your pocket...
It is, but I just get sick of people going on about how efficient some car's engine is just because it gets good fuel economy. Show me a car that can do 40 mpg while making 300 hp and I'll be impressed...

well, a turbo is basically designed to assist in just that... its power on demand... fuel efficiency when you want that, and the ability to make big power when you want that instead. The real limit is engineering, and the simple fact that burning of fossil fuels isn't very efficient to begin with...

Back