It's Lowered

benben01

:
2008 MS3 GT
Here's a Teaser Pic. Will post more info and the DIY pics tonight.

dwmeu.jpg

Man, we need "before & after" photos!

Thanks anyway. It looks great.
How is the ride - even firmer?
I see you have 20" wheels, which give firm ride already.

sorry it's camera phone pic.. will post a before and after later tonight. why lowered??? i just felt the cx-9 would look better and handle better if the center of gravity was a bit lower. just from hustling around the twisties in my area, i can tell you it was worth the 6 hours of install time. braking is improved as nose dive is reduced significantly compared to the OE right height. any how, gotta run, will post more later tonight.

Here are the pics of the install with before and after..

Before:

be8110.jpg

15ot3me.jpg

After:

ege841.jpg

The lowering springs I used was H&R for a Ford Edge: 1.75", 1.7" R

k01sg2.jpg

OE. Front Spring vs. H&R Front:

if387t.jpg

Tools Needed:

1. I am not gonna stress this enough. You gotta use an impact gun and breaker bar. If not, you are gonna be cursing all day.

2. Sockets. Both deep and regular length: 12mm - 21mm

3. Screw drivers and pilers

Remove plastic cover at base of windshield for access to front strut bolts. Driver's side wiper must be removed. It's very easy.. Don't sweat it.

Driver's side:
125g6f7.jpg

Passenger side:
ztfxqg.jpg

Get car on jacks stands. Put the jack stands on the car's side rail where you would use the scissor jack found in trunk. Lift front of car on the center crossmember with floor jack.

Cross member:
2556zco.jpg

6i3zgy.jpg

have to stop for now.. will add more pics later.

Last edited:
Probably looks good but why lower a cx-9? Its designed to ride high thats part of the goodness of having an suv.

This has been debated on another thread. My opinion is it's a crossover... based on a car platform. It'll probably never be taken off-roading. I don't see why not. :)

Benben01, how does it ride? Does it feel significantly harsher than before? How about with a car full of people?

Thanks!

Dude,

I must have lucked out with my GT CX-9. I guess my Mazda dealer sold me mine already lowered because it looks pretty much the same as your "after" photos.

Dude, was it worth the effort? What am I missing? an inch?

Getting Lazy with the DIY and pics.. Let's say the front struts were easy. Just disconnect the sway bar endlinks and 2 bolts at the base of the strut.

2gy4lrl.jpg

2vbx0sl.jpg

The rear suspension is very similar to that of my speed3. There's a catch though. The OE spring is a PITA to get out even with all the endlinks and control arms removed. Use a spring compress to compress the spring and then push down on the trailing arms by standing on the hub and yank out the spring. Much easier if you have another person helping you.

212bs02.jpg

To answer everyone's questions:

How much lower?

Right now, it's little over 2" lowered than stock. We will see how much it will settle after some miles.

Ride Quality:

The spring rates on these Ford Edge springs are a good match for the CX-9. It's not harsh at all. The ride is just like stock at low speeds and over bumps. At speed, it feels more planted and connected than stock. When hustling thru the twisties, there's less body roll and significantly less nose dive under hard braking.

Overall, it's a good mod. I got the springs from Tire Rack for about 250ish shipped. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the rear springs out during the install. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably say about 2-3 hours with air tools.

One thing I learned during the install was how heavy these 20" wheels are. I will definitely be looking into a set of lighter 20" rims and tires. Enkei has a pretty nice RE30 looking rim in 20x9 @ 25 lbs. These new Enkeis with 274/45 Toyo ST-II will come in under 60lbs per wheel. Didn't get a chance to weight the stock wheels. But it's a safe say that the stock wheels with tires are over 70lbs.

Funny Sporty! Maybe when I get some low rider rims I will worry about scraping and bottoming out (hah)

It's not that low... The doors, I gotta watch out for when I am in the city. For some reason, parts of downtown DC have like 1ft curbs.

very nice. I'd be interested to see how much it sags and if you have any issues w/ bottoming out (I doubt it though). Keep us updated! Thanks.

Back