Buy your Monterey Grand Prix Tickets in advance and Save!
Buy your Monterey Grand Prix Tickets in advance and Save!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 timing belt

Mazda3i

Mazda 3 timing belt

Hey guys, i have a 2004 mazda 3i 2.0 engine. honestly i have no idea whether my car a timing belt or a chain. If i do have the timing belt, do u guys know the approximate mileage it should b done? I have 90k on my car, i havent done anything to the timing belt, just today decided to think about it..
    thanks

Registered Know-It-All sunrun176's Avatar

2008.5 Mazda3 Hatchback Touring AT, Copper Red Mica

As noted in a few other threads, the '04-'09 3 engines (2.0 and 2.3) have a timing chain. IIRC, the only factory recommendation (as listed in the Maintenance Schedules in the owner's manual) regarding adjustment is if significant valve noise is noted during inspection at oil-change interval.
    Last edited by sunrun176; 05-02-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: clarification
    2008.5 Mazda3 5-Door Touring w/ Sport ATX in Copper Red Mica

Nickname: Lil' Red

Appearance Mods:
    CP-E TowPlate™ | BumperPlugs™
    Coming soon: Stebel Nautilus compact air horn (Marine Edition)

Performance Mods:
    K&N Air Filter for the stock air box

To do list (no hurry):
    Delete side moldings | 50% tint all around (max. legal) | Fog lights independent of low-beams | Lamin-X yellow fog light and clear headlight overlays | Bronze/Gold caliper paint w/ Mazda3 decals | CorkSport SRI

Registered Member

You have a chain. I 100% guarantee it. If you try to replace a timing belt, you'll find there isn't one. Don't worry about replacing it unless you encounter problems. If you want to verify what I'm telling you, take off the valve cover and look. Don't forget to replace the gasket when you put it back on. Or you can take the cheap route and look in a service manual.

But as a Mazda technician working with these motors every day, I guarantee you--Mazda quit using timing belts a little while ago. All Mazda 3s, 6s, speed 3s, speed 6s, MX-5s ('06 and later), MPVs (with 3.0 V6 engines only), CX-7s, CX-9s, and Tributes all use timing chains.

Let that "ahh....low maintenance" feeling sink in. =>

Quote Originally Posted by zenon View Post

Let that "ahh....low maintenance" feeling sink in. =>
    lol unless you have a cx7 with a faulty VVT actuator, those are my favorite. but yes to the OP these guys are right, i'm also a mazda tech and timing belts have become obsolete
    run for the hills, run for your lives

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrissor View Post
    lol unless you have a cx7 with a faulty VVT actuator, those are my favorite. but yes to the OP these guys are right, i'm also a mazda tech and timing belts have become obsolete
    ahhh. *RATATATATAT smooothh* we've done a lot of those. i actually have yet to get my first one but it'll come around. right now i get to pull the transfer case out of a speed 6 to reseal it. TSB 03-001/08. That's my job tomorrow plus upsells. woot! whaddya think, chrissor--is 4.3 for warranty pay good enough? first time i've done this one--not even our master tech has had to yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zenon View Post
    ahhh. *RATATATATAT smooothh* we've done a lot of those. i actually have yet to get my first one but it'll come around. right now i get to pull the transfer case out of a speed 6 to reseal it. TSB 03-001/08. That's my job tomorrow plus upsells. woot! whaddya think, chrissor--is 4.3 for warranty pay good enough? first time i've done this one--not even our master tech has had to yet.
    it can be done in that time but first time i did it i lost about an hour on it. now i can get it done in 4 if i have no interuptions, which is rare lol.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda3s

Thanks guys!
    This is great to hear because I was also wondering if I need to worry about the timing chain or not. I have 97,000 on my '04 2.3 and it has been low maint. up til now.

One other question (not to hijack the thread) but I have a rattle in the front end like a broke strut, but it just sounds like something loose in the suspension (rattles at every crack in the road). Anything I can look at?
    2004 Mazda 3s, Silver 5speed with the works.. Gotta Love it!!! (godown)

2007 Galaxy Grey Mazda 3 S Hatchback (a.k.a. DILLA)

I had the same noise coming from one of my rear shocks after I had them replaced, it ended up being a loose shock mount. I would, if you are comfy with it, check all of the hardware for the strut to make sure it is all tight. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a shop you trust and have then check it. The tech that looked at mine knew exactly what the sound was right away. I had even tried to tighten mine myself and couldn't get the sound to go away. The tech used an air wrench and it must have gotten it just a little bit tighter. Good Luck

Registered Member

Mazda3s

Quote Originally Posted by joshritger View Post
    I had the same noise coming from one of my rear shocks after I had them replaced, it ended up being a loose shock mount. I would, if you are comfy with it, check all of the hardware for the strut to make sure it is all tight. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a shop you trust and have then check it. The tech that looked at mine knew exactly what the sound was right away. I had even tried to tighten mine myself and couldn't get the sound to go away. The tech used an air wrench and it must have gotten it just a little bit tighter. Good Luck
    Mine really sounds like the front end is going to fall off.. I checked the torque on the strut mounts and everything is snug.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

how do u tighten the timing chain, for the techs on here

EDIT: can you tighten the timing chain or will it need to be replaced? if you can tighten it, how do you do this? if it must be replaced, does anything else need to be replaced with it?

anyone?

Registered Member

The timing chain tension is controlled by a hydraulic/springloaded piston style tensioner that pushes on the back side of a timing chain guide. It's not manually adjustable for tension purposes. The only time it gets messed with is when for whatever reason, chain removal or loosening is necessary during a repair.

*****Important Question:*****

Why do you want to tighten the chain?
    ----------------------------------------
    As to the suspension rattle, examine the rest of the suspension. Much easier if you can jack up the front end of the car (that is, if you're trying to avoid paying a shop a diagnosis fee). Also examine other components all throughout under the hood--engine mounts? the power steering pump?

Consider this: one suspension knocking that can fool you is if the piston rod nut for the strut is backed off just a bit. That's the nut directly in the center top of where the strut is mounted at the front of the car. It keeps the spring and everything together. They're typically lock-nuts, so it won't be turnable by hand usually. But if while the car's parked, you raise the hood and bounce each corner of the car, watch that nut on each front strut--if you see it bobbing up and down separate from the rest of the car, it needs to be tightened ASAP. If you don't see that moving (you might need to REALLY bounce the car to make sure), you might still at least be able to duplicate the noise while the car's still and in your driveway. If you can, that will help you trace where it's coming from.

cause mine is loose as a goose

if its loose, and this isn't the first time its happened. i would replace the tensioner, as well as the guides possiably. how do you know its loose and its not something else you are hearing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast