Help - hesitation/bucking in higher gears

Alladin

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6
So my car has been in and out of the dealership for over a month now and they can't find the problem.

At first when accelerating in gears 3-6 the car would ping real loud, buck and hesitate real bad. Felt like the car was falling on it's face. Also, if I gave the car 1/2 throttle it would accelerate faster than full throttle. They did a reflash that helped with the hesitation but did not get rid of it completely.

The 3rd time the car was in the shop they said the turbine was rubbing on the housing so they replaced my turbo. The car seems to accelerate consistently now but the hesitation is still there.

Of course this time they told me I have bad gas, but I've put in alot of tanks of gas since the problem started. Right now when I accelerate in any gear 3-6 the car stutters/hesitates and makes a clacking sound from the engine. It happens randomly and I'm at a loss as to the problem.

Is this only wot or is it acting up just cruising moderately too?
I'm guessing you don't have a wideband? MAF or 02 sensor issues maybe.

No cels?

Sounds like you have at some point had bad gas and been running rich. I would say the spark plugs are fouled as well. Pull them out and check them against this: http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm

If they are fouled, look at doing the following:

Run a bottle of Heet (water removing fuel treatment) through and burn up that tank. Once you get through that tank, change the spark plugs and consider changing the fuel filter as well.

Is this only wot or is it acting up just cruising moderately too?
I'm guessing you don't have a wideband? MAF or 02 sensor issues maybe.

No cels?

No CEL's, and it happens for example cruising along in 6th gear and want to accelerate at half or more throttle.

Changed my plugs already, I went to 1 step colder just to see if that helped. Ran Seafoam through one tank. Problem just happened again at lunch.

My car is stock by the way

Where is the fuel filter on this car?

My first thought would be, are you getting the gas from the same place? Are you using 93? Sounds like what happened to me when I had to fill up in Oklahoma and all they had was 91, the car didn't like it and would do the same thing as you described on the highway when I would go to accelearate, but felt fine during normal driving.

No, I have tried different gas stations around different parts of Houston. Always 93 and this problem has been happening for almost 2 months. That's at least 8 or 9 tanks ago.

Maybe this has something to do with your problem. I didn't have a lot of time to pick through it since I'm at work and all. Hope it helps!

It is part of the fuel pump. This bulletin may apply to you if you are having a performance problem.
2008 Mazda Motor of America, Inc.
Subject:
ROUGH IDLE, LACK OF POWER, AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P2177/P2187 (FUEL
SYSTEM LEAN)
Bulletin No: 01-022/08
Last Issued: 04/02/2008
Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
Irvine, CA 92618-2922
MULTI-MODEL- ROUGH IDLE, LACK OF POWER, AND/OR MIL ON WITH DTC P2177/P2187 (FUEL SYSTEM
LEAN)
BULLETIN NOTE
This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin issued on 03/27/08. The REPAIR PROCEDURE has been
revised.
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK**** ** 859606 (produced before November 22,
2007)
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles
2007-2008 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER**** ** 196510 (produced before November 19, 2007)
DESCRIPTION
Due to low fuel pressure at the high-pressure fuel pump, some vehicles may experience the following:
• Rough idle, stall, and/or hesitation under cold conditions.
• Intermittent lack of power during acceleration when the engine gets hot.
• MIL turns on with DTC P2177/P2187 (fuel system too lean at off idle).
This is caused by a delayed fuel pressure build-up from the high pressure fuel pump. There are two main reasons
for this:
1. The drive current from the PCM is not enough for some fuel pumps.
2. Some fuel pumps have slower response.
To fix the problem, the PCM software and the specification of the high-pressure fuel pump have been changed.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.
2. Using IDS 51.9 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to “Calibration Information”
table) by following the “Module Reprogramming” procedure.
NOTE:
• Always update the IDS tool first, then follow on-screen instructions to download the needed calibration
file for PCM reprogramming.
• It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS
screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and
cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming
procedure.
Page 2 of 6
• IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.
• Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin
may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations
for service related concerns.
• When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the “latest” calibration P/N available for
that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new
service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
• When performing this procedure, we recommend that a battery charger be installed on
the vehicle battery and turned ON to a maximum charge of no more than 20 AMPS to
keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If you exceed 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.
3. For vehicles built before April 7, 2007 that are experiencing the conditions as noted in this service bulletin
after the PCM calibration update, perform a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry using your eMDCS System and
inspect Warranty Claim Inquiry Detail for high-pressure fuel pump replacement.
• If no prior history of replacement, replace the high-pressure fuel pump. Refer to MS3 online instructions
or Workshop Manual section 01-14 FUEL PUMP UNIT REMOVAL/INSTALLATION.
• If the history indicates part number L3K9-13-35ZB was used during a repair, use the following illustration
to inspect the production date of the high-pressure fuel pump. Replace it if the production date is before
March 26, 2007.
Date of production is marked as a 4 digit code “YMDD” at the pipe.
Y for Year 4 for 2004....7 for 2007
M for Month 1 for Jan....9 for Sept, X for October, Y for Nov, Z for Dec
DD for Date 01 for 1st of month....31 for 31st of month
Example “4Z16” means Dec 16, 2004; 7608 means June 8, 2007
Page 3 of 6
CAUTION: When replacing the high-pressure fuel pump, it is very important to make sure that the tension
collar is present before reinstalling the pump. Failure to do so will result in excessive engine
noise and the subsequent failure of the high-pressure fuel pump and its cam lobes.
4. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, verify the repair by starting the engine and making
sure there are no MIL illumination or abnormal warning lights present.
NOTE:
• If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs according to the
appropriate Troubleshooting section of the Workshop Manual.
• After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to “relearn” KAM
(Keep Alive Memory).
5. Fill out an “Authorized Modifications” label (P/N 9999-95-AMDC-97) with the new PCM calibration information,
your dealer code, and today’s date.
AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE,
BY THE EPA AND CARB.
THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE:
1326c
Page 4 of 6
6. Place the “Authorized Modifications” label on the “A” pillar below the tear tag in the driver door jamb.
CALIBRATION INFORMATION
Mazdaspeed3 (52.2 or later software)
Mazdaspeed6 (51.9, 52.2 or later software)
Spec New PCM Calibration Part Number File Name
CA L39R-18-881D SW-L39RED000
Fed, Canada L39S-18-881D SW-L39SED000
Spec New PCM Calibration Part Number File Name
CA L38G-18-1881G SW-L38JEG000
Fed/Canada L38K-18-1881G SW-L38KEG000
1326d
AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS
THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE,
BY THE EPA AND CARB.
THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS H

Glad I could help! Be sure to come back and let us know what they say about it. You're probably not the only person with an MS6 who has experienced this.

Alladin, I am having the same problem with mine as well. Every now and then if i go to accelerate say at 50mph in 6 th i will get a pinging and shutter and then feels like it goes. Then i can do it again and nothing. Does sound like the bulletin that Blender posted, need to let me know where you take your car and what they say.....

Alladin, I am having the same problem with mine as well. Every now and then if i go to accelerate say at 50mph in 6 th i will get a pinging and shutter and then feels like it goes. Then i can do it again and nothing. Does sound like the bulletin that Blender posted, need to let me know where you take your car and what they say.....

I will keep you up too date redspeed6. I have been working with Expo Mazda in Humble because I have had good experience with them. I don't live or work anywhere close to there but good mechanics are hard too find. I called this morning and gave them the info. I should find out today if they will to the TSB and will take my car there on Monday. I hope this fixes the problem, I don't know how long you have had it but I've been dealing with it for over 2 months.

yea, mine has been since the first of the year. I used to be a tech at mazda of clear lake, still know the guys there, last time i had it in they found a oil leak at my x-fer case. I will be taking it in to get the seals replaced and hopefuly this TSB done as well. Just need to find the time.....

Dealership agreed to do the TSB, I'm dropping the car off Tuesday and will update you afterwards to let you know if it worked.

Well I got the car back yesterday and only drove to work today. So far the car seems ok but I'm not sure yet. Usually takes a couple of days for the problem to pop up again. I will keep you guys posted.

When I first bought the car, I noticed some hesitation in cold weather in the upper gears. Dealer did the PCM update and checked the CDFP and it has been fine since.

Just a helpful hint too, when posting threads about issues, it helps to describe the issue in the title. More people might respond if they know what the thread is about.

Keep us informed on any other updates.

Thanks tunersteve

Now, I would like to know if this is only my car or everyone. I still haven't noticed the hesitation but when I'm in 6th gear going about 65mph and give it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle the car accelerates great. If I give it more than 1/2 throttle it accelerates slower.

This happens in 4th and 5th as well just more noticeable in 6th.

Is this normal for this car and I just don't remember? It's been so long since my car ran right that I don't know anymore.

Back