HELP! 09 Mazda 6 Won't Start-Push to Start

RaVE_Noodles

:
2009 Mazda 6 I Touring
Just got the car today and drove it 2 hours home. We were playing with it in the garage, wiring in a sub-woofer. We never even made it far enough to get the audio signal, and now it won't even go to ACC or ON. We called the dealership, and they couldn't tell us anything the manual didn't.

The car won't even let you put it in Neutral to back it out of the garage.

We had the emergency roadside assistance people come out, hoping it was a dead battery (that's what the dealership thought it must be), but they said the battery tests fine. The car acts like it doesn't recognize the keys, even when doing the emergency procedures with the slide-out key in the fake ignition. The key can still be used to unlock and lock the car. When trying to start it, the key warning light flashes red as well as the security indicator light. After attempting a system purge, disconnecting the negative from the battery and holding the brake for several seconds, we did have a slight improvement---for a split second right as the brake is depressed, the lights on the push button and the key indicator light go green--only to immediately go back to red.

It's Saturday, and the dealership is closed--I want to drive my new car!! Please help!!

Thanks!

Fun with immobilizers.

Thought:
Close all the windows/moonroof.
Lock it with the clicker (twice)
LET IT SIT for 10 minutes or so, with all of the keyless entry keys out of it's vicinity for that period.

When you're ready, approach the vehicle, unlock it twice with the clicker, get in, buckle your seatbelt (all doors closed) and try the push-to-start.

Failing that the (backup) key right away.

----- This suggestion is NOT based on Mazda experience, but experience with malfunctioning immobilizers. Basically, lock the vehicle up tight, let it think it's "secure" then try to go straight to "starting it".

When doing that sort of thing, it's best to defeat anything it would 'complain' about - seatbelt, clutch, timing lockout, brake.

Could be messing with the stereo tripped something :(

You're going to get MUCH better advice monday morning from anyone at the dealership and/or here when they run across it . . . I'm just trying to give you a shot in the dark chance of getting it going.

-Ernie

Fun with immobilizers.

Thought:
Close all the windows/moonroof.
Lock it with the clicker (twice)
LET IT SIT for 10 minutes or so, with all of the keyless entry keys out of it's vicinity for that period.

When you're ready, approach the vehicle, unlock it twice with the clicker, get in, buckle your seatbelt (all doors closed) and try the push-to-start.

Failing that the (backup) key right away.

----- This suggestion is NOT based on Mazda experience, but experience with malfunctioning immobilizers. Basically, lock the vehicle up tight, let it think it's "secure" then try to go straight to "starting it".

When doing that sort of thing, it's best to defeat anything it would 'complain' about - seatbelt, clutch, timing lockout, brake.

Could be messing with the stereo tripped something :(

You're going to get MUCH better advice monday morning from anyone at the dealership and/or here when they run across it . . . I'm just trying to give you a shot in the dark chance of getting it going.

-Ernie

+1

That would be my advise. Seems strange that this happens after you were messing with the stereo system. If the dealer tracks the problem to that it would be considered non warranty repairs.

Good point. One saving grace could be to go back to the dealer that you purchased it from since you may have some "credit" since they already made something off of you.

Also, immobilzers are pretty end- user idiot proof, so if you didn't cut or repin anything it could be a bad coincidence.

Most states require proof that you did something wrong, but a bad dealer may not explain that.

Let us know, either way and you could help the next guy.

-Ernie

We have the car back from the dealer. come to find out, the car went into what one might call lock out mode. When I was searching for a switch wire (one that has power only when the car is on) I was turning the car on and off of ACC. doing this five times in a row causes the car to look down even if the key is in the car with you. Also the battery didn't have sufficient power so the car went into self preservation mode, when I tested the battery at home thinking that this was causing my problem it had 11.67 volts, one might think this would be enough, but its not. If this happens to you, the only solution is to take it to the dealer cause they have to clear the code. what they did at the dealer was charge the battery, lock the car and remove the keys from the area for a while and returned only to find everything was back to normal. The dealer had never seen this before and the tech was on the phone with Mazda tech support to figure it out. the first time this happens its free but if it happens again its not covered by warranty and the cost is $500.00 dollars to fix. I am 90% done with my install, All I have left to do is find that switch wire and its done. when I finish I will post a guide with pictures of the procedure to help any of those who feel the need to add a little bump to there new mazda6, I am adding this sub and amp to the new bose 10 spker 333 watt system. thanks to all, for all the great suggestions. I hope this helps the next guy with this same problem.

Last edited:
what they did at the dealer was charge the battery, lock the car and remove the keys from the area for a while and returned only to find everything was back to normal
so the stealership is going to charge $500 just for doing those? lol wth!

glad they got it working for you.

in the future, you may be able to just unhook the battery for like 10 minutes (which should clear any codes) and then try it again.

that's a good Idea, but we tried that, it did not alow us to reset the keys. on the other hand the battery was below operating charge so it might work if the battery was charged.

I have beautiful 2009 Mazda6 s Grand Touring in the garage and it doesnt start.
It doesnt start with the key, it doesnt push start. the lights are on, battery was dead, so I jump started, now the lights are on, car doesnt start does not even make any sound. whatsoever. help!!!!

Back