Rear main seal leak

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
Well I've had oil dampness under the bell housing since I got it 1 1/2 years ago. Now starting to get enough to leave small drops on pavement. Was using 2000/Qt, now under 1500 so yeah leakage.

Clutch only has 80K on it - supposedly a performance one plus flywheel by the guy before. Not sure if oil leakage will get intolerable first or if it will ruin the clutch before that.

Not sure how long these typically can go like this? Also, will I be able to probably replace the clutch with an OEM type or are performance clutch/fly like a matched set where you'd have to replace both? This P5 is getting too worn to sink too much more into it.

Any shortcuts (yeah LOL) to basically pulling the hood then engine/tranny with a cherry picker? Just trying to plan for the inevitable.

you can pull the engine and tranny with a hoist...and you can just replace the clutch....but ya might wanna have the flywheel resurfaced....someone said a local shop resurfaced his for less than 50 so not that big on that one

I feel that sealers & seal swellers are usually a waste of money, but if anyone ever had luck with a product, esp on a P5, I'd like to hear it. I have had some real luck with radiator sealers in the coolant, though I hate to admit to it. But those don't involve sealing a moving oily part.

It won't ruin the clutch (AFAIK). I would wait until it got way worse before all that maint. How many miles on the engine?

this may sound kinda dumb, but if your rms is leaking then why are you replacing your clutch? has motor oil leaked in and damaged components? Cause the way i was taught was that a rear main seal is the seal on top and underneath the back end of the crank.

clutch is OK so far. But there's oil all over the place, so no telling. It's all original engine with 215K mi. I'm trying Bar's Leaks - I give it a chance to maybe help. Also, It looks like you could pull the tranny off the engine enough while in the car? Just maybe pull the driver side plastic inner fender liner & pull the mounts? Not sure.

Back