Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!

Thread: Rear main seal leak

Registered Member

2002 Protege5

Rear main seal leak

Well I've had oil dampness under the bell housing since I got it 1 1/2 years ago. Now starting to get enough to leave small drops on pavement. Was using 2000/Qt, now under 1500 so yeah leakage.

Clutch only has 80K on it - supposedly a performance one plus flywheel by the guy before. Not sure if oil leakage will get intolerable first or if it will ruin the clutch before that.

Not sure how long these typically can go like this? Also, will I be able to probably replace the clutch with an OEM type or are performance clutch/fly like a matched set where you'd have to replace both? This P5 is getting too worn to sink too much more into it.

Any shortcuts (yeah LOL) to basically pulling the hood then engine/tranny with a cherry picker? Just trying to plan for the inevitable.
    02 Protege5 - Vivid Yellow - 230K mi
    flywheel, clutch, UR pulley, Injen, OBX, MagnaFlow, PIAA fogs, Jensen head, sub, & 6x9s. On my 7th Mazda!

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

you can pull the engine and tranny with a hoist...and you can just replace the clutch....but ya might wanna have the flywheel resurfaced....someone said a local shop resurfaced his for less than 50 so not that big on that one

yellow '02 p5: tokico hp struts/springs lowering kit, adr phantom 17" wheels, intake mani w/vtcs removed and PNPed, sigmota cai, medieval mounts all around, mp3 ecu, msp rear brakes, mz6 front brakes,SS brake lines,Short shifter/bushings installed
    myspace
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: me?
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: i habe big boobs

Registered Member

2002 Protege5

I feel that sealers & seal swellers are usually a waste of money, but if anyone ever had luck with a product, esp on a P5, I'd like to hear it. I have had some real luck with radiator sealers in the coolant, though I hate to admit to it. But those don't involve sealing a moving oily part.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Lancer Ralliart Sportback

It won't ruin the clutch (AFAIK). I would wait until it got way worse before all that maint. How many miles on the engine?
    I used to have a
    Black Mica Protege5
    Mods:
    MP3 ECU
    Hawk Pads
    OBX Header
    AWR Mounts
    Tokico Blues
    Eibach Pro Kit
    Underdrive Pulley
    Kartboy Bushings
    ThermoBlok Spacers
    Kumho ECSTA AST tires
    Fabricated Ground Wire Kit
    VTCS-Less Intake (Ported)
    Fabricated SRI w/ K&N Filter
    Fog lights on with parking lights

Audio:
    Kenwood Head Unit
    Kenwood Mono Amp
    Custom 10" Enclosures
    Boston Accoustic 1" Tweets
    Rockford/Fosgate Punch 50

nut up or shut up!

2003 Mazda Protege5

this may sound kinda dumb, but if your rms is leaking then why are you replacing your clutch? has motor oil leaked in and damaged components? Cause the way i was taught was that a rear main seal is the seal on top and underneath the back end of the crank.

Registered Member

2002 Protege5

clutch is OK so far. But there's oil all over the place, so no telling. It's all original engine with 215K mi. I'm trying Bar's Leaks - I give it a chance to maybe help. Also, It looks like you could pull the tranny off the engine enough while in the car? Just maybe pull the driver side plastic inner fender liner & pull the mounts? Not sure.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.