2006 Mazda5 - Getting OEM Fog Lights to Run with Parking Lights

bwudwagun

Hey everyone,

I just came back this morning from a Mazda repair shop to have a creaking suspension inspected on my 2006 Mazda5. As part of my service request, I had asked if it was possible for them to rewire my fog lights so that I could operate them with my parking lights. Currently, I am only able to operate them with my daytime running lights and low beam head lights.

The mechanic refused to do the rewiring, saying that it is illegal to do so, but according to the Motor Vehicle Act here where I live, it is legal to drive with only fog lights and parking lights on if it is deemed disadvantageous to drive with low beam headlights. Also, many Audis here come factory-installed with this option for use as daytime running lights. In spite of this, he still refused to do it for me.

So basically, I'm interested in doing this sort of thing myself, but I have very little experience working under the hood of a car. I've seen a few threads about it already, and I've learned that it's really easy and that it takes less than 5 minutes to do it, but nobody seemed to really explain it well enough or provide any accompanying pictures or diagrams that I could use. I guess what I would really like is an (almost) fool-proof, step-by-step diagram that would help me through the process. I wouldn't want to be messing around with the wrong wires.

Some questions that I have about this:
- Is there a way to do it without having to cut any wires?
- Do I have to buy anything? Some say I need to buy some wiring/spade connectors (don't know what this is), some don't.
- Are there any safety risks?
- Will my warranty be voided?

I've been wanting to do this upgrade for a very long time now, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
bwudwagun -

It was really easy.
m.

Attachments

• fog jumper (Medium).JPG
    fog jumper (Medium).JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Back