Help with turbo upgrade

jvskater51789

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
looking to upgrade the turbo in my 2003 msp. wondering wich turbo would best suit my engine. i am looking for the most hp gains without doing work to the block head or pistons. also what is the max boost can the stock engine handle without the worry of damage?

the stock turbo can push out enough power to blow your stock internals.... no need for a turbo upgrade without a built motor OR LOTS of supporting mods.

well in case you are still wanting to upgrade the turbos the GT28RS is a turbo that you can upgrade it's slightly bigger then the stock turbo but it still will fit on ur exhaust mani that you have used for the stock turbo...

The GT28RS is also my opinion... You can run it at lower boost with the regular mods like exhaust and upgraded intercooler, on a msp ecu, but a split second would be ideal to run slightly higher boost like 8 psi safely.

or you can do modern performance inc. upgrade. Which I think they put the 28 internals in the stock houseing. Stage 1 which is just compressor side is 700 and stage which is the whole thing is 900. Nick does a real quick turn around. I have the stage 1. It was night and day difference

I'm running a big turbonetics t3/60 turbo, I didn't do any internal mods to the engine. It's awesome to drive too, so much fun.

looking to upgrade the turbo in my 2003 msp. wondering wich turbo would best suit my engine. i am looking for the most hp gains without doing work to the block head or pistons. also what is the max boost can the stock engine handle without the worry of damage?

if you want to waste money, just send it to me and keep the stock turbo.

the stock turbo is more than capable of bending your rods and putting holes in the stock fs-de.

dont concern yourself with the max boost you can run, its the amount of power and torque. people have blown the engine up at a variety of "boost levels." If you want to be safe, dont touch the boost.

if you want to have a fun, well rounded car (and add a little risk), shoot for 190-200 whp and call it a day.

or you can do modern performance inc. upgrade. Which I think they put the 28 internals in the stock houseing. Stage 1 which is just compressor side is 700 and stage which is the whole thing is 900. Nick does a real quick turn around. I have the stage 1. It was night and day difference
Protege Garage is going to start doing this conversion as well. He's a well known vendor, easier to get ahold of and all around great guy. I tried on multiple occations to contact Nick about this conversion on my extra T25 and never did get a response. I just had a long chat with Ken about this exact thing and this will be a reality on the very near future.

if you want to waste money, just send it to me and keep the stock turbo.

the stock turbo is more than capable of bending your rods and putting holes in the stock fs-de.

dont concern yourself with the max boost you can run, its the amount of power and torque. people have blown the engine up at a variety of "boost levels." If you want to be safe, dont touch the boost.

if you want to have a fun, well rounded car (and add a little risk), shoot for 190-200 whp and call it a day.
The wonderful thing about these cars is the ability to put on smile on your face and make your Passengers s*** themselves on hard corners, too much power and loose that.

will a t25 upgraded with 28 internals still put out the same hp at higher boost levels? I think the peak range for the 28 is like around 20psi so will a upgraded stocker do the same thing at the same psi? I have heard that they spool faster than a 28. Im wondering this because the inlets and things are different sizes.

I was told by many people it will the cfms are alittle different but the hybrid will go up to 25psi

i have the mpnick stage 1...it's a good upgrade over stock. i boost around 8.5psi w/ a fmic, catless exhaust and it pulls VERY hard. never had any problems with my set-up. the upgrade was well worth the money, imo. ...and it's cheaper than going with a gt28rs.

James did you ever hear from Ken for sure on that. I asked him about it but couldn't pm him back because his mailbox was full.

bump about ken doing the rebuilds now? Also is it really that hard to rebuild yourself?

Last edited:
James did you ever hear from Ken for sure on that. I asked him about it but couldn't pm him back because his mailbox was full.

bump about ken doing the rebuilds now? Also is it really that hard to rebuild yourself?

I had an extra turbo sitting around, so I'm letting Ken use it as a test for this, I hope it doesn't get messed up, I have faith it will be fine. But be assured we will finally have this option from a dependable known vender. I think we may dyno it versus my GT28RS to see what the numbers really are and then maybe mount it on a MSP with a stock T25 and compare.
I'll let Ken answer any more questions on this, since this is his thing I just happened to have the extra turbo sitting around at his disposal

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not going to say a whole lot about the T25 upgrades until i have firm details back from the machine shop. thanks to Zuku for donating his dead snail to the cause. once i have specs and pricing, i'll make it known to all you guys.

i'm not going to say a whole lot about the T25 upgrades until i have firm details back from the machine shop. thanks to Zuku for donating his dead snail to the cause. once i have specs and pricing, i'll make it known to all you guys.

Thanks for jumping in!! I was feeling bad about dancing around the questions(boobs)

Back