$250 for a 7500 mile service !?

So my 2008 MS3 is due for it's 7500 mile service. I call the local dealer here in San Francisco and schedule an appointment. I ask how much this service is and I get quoted $250 (they have a $25 off coupon though). I thought this seemed high and they must be doing some kind of service I wasn't aware of. The Mazda site says this service consists of oil change, oil filter change, and lubing the locks. Sounds like a hell of an expensive oil change to me.

Am I missing something here?

nope, not missing anything. but will you be smart enough to realize that this service is just a BS way for them to get your cash. thats the question lol ;)
So my 2008 MS3 is due for it's 7500 mile service. I call the local dealer here in San Francisco and schedule an appointment. I ask how much this service is and I get quoted $250 (they have a $25 off coupon though). I thought this seemed high and they must be doing some kind of service I wasn't aware of. The Mazda site says this service consists of oil change, oil filter change, and lubing the locks. Sounds like a hell of an expensive oil change to me.

1520commonsense.jpg

Yep, figured as much, just wanted to make sure that I could get the same service with their $60 oil change and lube special LOL. Crooks....

Thanks guys!

$60 for an oil change? I know I dont have a 3 but that cant be right lol

gas prices goes down, and oil pricing up 150%. what's next? seriously though, I only take my car in for 30k, 45k, 60k, 90k miles, and I haven't made it pass this point yet. I had a 95 540i with 120k miles, but it kinda fell apart at 134k miles, so im not counting it. get an oil change, rotate and balance your tires, and the car should be fine. i usually take my car to a tire shop that has a good working crew to do oil changes and balance and rotate my tires every 3k miles. i dont think the ms3 gets detuned and needs to be retuned, but I'm not 100% sure, such as a ferrari needs service every 5k miles or so(can't remember exactly).

then again this could actually be a representation of how much time it actually took the idiots to do the job.

They also top all fluids, check your tire pressure, rotate tires and check brakes I think. But all you really need is the oil change. You can check all that yourself unless you don't have the tools and extras.

The dealer also quoted me like 40 bucks for the first service. But I still only have like 900 miles on my car.

Last edited:
My local dealership had a "Fall service special" for $44.95 that included:
* Replace engine oil and Genuine Mazda oil filter.
* Rotate and inspect tires, check brake wear.
* Check engine coolant.
* Check cooling system for leaks.
* Check and top off all fluid levels.
* Check belts and hoses.
* Check and adjust tire pressure.
* Check exhaust system.
* Lubricate chassis and door hinges.
* Check Constant Velocity (CV) boots.

This sounded like exactly what should be done for the 7500 mile check. I brought my own oil, and my final bill with tax was $42.85. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

$250? That's what my Mercedes delear wanted for a "small" service when I was stupid enough to own one. Oh, but they had expresso for you while waiting in line for the service writer, I had a "personal" service writer who knew my name and email address and the names of my children, they gave me a Mercedes loaner car, and my car was always washed and waxed when I picked it up. But, they couldn't even do an oil change in less than two days! Also, the first two years of oil changes were free, and when that ran out, I sold the car; what a POS.

You dont need anything other than an oil change at 7500 if it is within your interval. I have 25k and have yet to let the dealership do anything to my car but an oil change now and then so they can at least see my car once or twice a year. Proves to pay off, they dont mind as much about mods if they know your car. Save the money and just get your oil changed!

My local dealership had a "Fall service special" for $44.95 that included:
* Replace engine oil and Genuine Mazda oil filter.
* Rotate and inspect tires, check brake wear.
* Check engine coolant.
* Check cooling system for leaks.
* Check and top off all fluid levels.
* Check belts and hoses.
* Check and adjust tire pressure.
* Check exhaust system.
* Lubricate chassis and door hinges.
* Check Constant Velocity (CV) boots.

This sounded like exactly what should be done for the 7500 mile check. I brought my own oil, and my final bill with tax was $42.85. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

So really for $45 all they do is change the oil. There's no way to know if they do all that other s***. I pay $30 for pp 5w-30 and a mazda filter.

i hope none of you are dishing a lot of money into balancing and rotating tires? I just looked at the invoice on my car and it was $150 for rotating and balancing my tires because they changed the steering column. just pay a tire shop to do it for u for the life of the car for free and get your oil change while they are doing the rotating and balancing. cost $55 for me to get an oil change.

Back