AWD Vibration

Maavalous

I am stuck with a 2008 GT AWD (bought in April-08) and it is exhibiting a "harmonic vibration" throughout the car at highway speeds. It is worst between 55 and 80 mph. It is still noticeable at any speed above about 45 mph. After 300 miles on the interstate, I feel like I'm sitting on a paint-shaker

Dealer has tried:
* Tire rotate and balance - multiple times with force balancing, nothing odd found... no help.
* 4-wheel alignment no change, but it was fairly far out of spec after only 1,500 miles
* Replacing the tail-shaft very minor improvement. Note they did NOT issue a TSB on this but admitted it is a known problem.
* "Special Lube" in the rear differential - no change.
* Some form of elaborate balancing on the new tail-shaft no real change

I have tried simulating the RPMs in different gears and the vibe only appears at highway speeds not highway RPMs. So, its not the motor itself.

So, I asked Mazda to trade with me for a new car of the same type. They came back and said that putting me in a new car would not solve the problem. That the vibration was normal in their opinion. I asked them for a refund gee, what a surprise that they would say NO.

Bottom line, Mazda knows the car has this vibration issue. After testing/identifying FOUR units that all exhibit the vibration they could not cure it and have concluded it is as designed. Let me tell you, I have test driven almost all the CUVs out there and NONE vibrate like this. It is NOT normal!

If you own a CX-7 AWD you may have this defect and not realize it... yet.
The vibration is evident at all speeds over about 45 mph but most evident at 65 to 75 mph. The kicker is if you typically drive less than a couple hours non-stop you may not have experienced the true problem. Once the vehicle has been driven for several hours non-stop the vibration escalates dramatically almost as if you had a square tire.

So, if you own an AWD and you sense any constant vibration on smooth roads at highway speeds, you have the issue. And, I'd like to ask for some help. I'd like you to reply to this post so I can determine how widespread this issue is and make Mazda aware of enough other cases that it will be an incentive to realize they can't ignore this issue. Also, if you are NOT having the issue then you help me to prove it is not normal as Mazda says.

So, it appears they have me where they want me for now... they got my money and they are NOT going to fix the problem. A case of the big corporation showing what they really think of the customer. I am truly glad that Mazda does not make heart defibrillators!!

Has anyone checked the engine and transmission mounts?I wonder if the mounts are loose or soft (some are jell filled) to allow the component to move? Has anyone checked the shock and shock mountings? just a thought. You describe a "square tire" type symptom or were you joking? Does the steering when vibrate badly or the whole car. Difficult to guess what can be wrong. Ed

Hi Maavalous, I have 25k miles on my 2007 CX-7 AWD GT (I bought it Dec '06) and I've drove it from Chicago to Florida keys (at 800 miles intervals); and from Chicago to North Carolina and to Washington, DC (20 hours non-stop trip) and many other small trips on the highway and I've NEVER noticed any vibration or strange sound at any highway speeds. I had a lot of other small problems (not related to the power-train) but all of them were in the service bulletins and were fixed (I hope).

Last edited:
I am truly glad that Mazda does not make heart defibrillators!!
100% agree. I never had problems like with my CX-7 with any other cars I ever had. This is my first and last Mazda. I'll never buy Mazda again. CX-7 is a nice looking car with great handling but is a quality disaster. For 2 years I've been to the service shop at least 15 times, excluding the maintenance and oil changes. Thanks god the dealer is located 1 mile from my work :).

Do you have a bent rim? I guess i hit a pothole in my old volvo s40 and man it vib'd like a biatch after like 50 mph.

Noise Is Unbearable

Maavalous,

I have about 50k miles on my car and I'm experiencing the same issue.

I'm going to take it to the dealer this Saturday, but I'm going to ask specifically about the wheel bearings.

Today, I "tested" the car by driving on the beltway at 80 and then shifting the car into neutral.

The car still exhibited the problems so I think it might not be related to the driveshaft.

Let me know what your progress is.

Will

Bad to be you...

Will,
Sorry for the tardy reply. Please let me know what you found out. Either you are as screwed as I am or you will have a revelation I can use to get Mazda to fix mine.

The driveshaft (technically, the tail shaft) is a known problem. They replaced mine as soon as I arrived at the shop. Then, when it didn't cure the problem they did the list I posted earlier. They actually took the shaft to a custom machine shop and had it precision balanced. Force balanced tires, wheels, alignment, checked the entire underside... exhaust, brakes, suspension. Well, so they say...

So, in the long-run, the shaft is not the problem. Sadly, Mazda service is the SHAFT :(

Mine is vibrating worse as the miles go by. After long drives, it is actually making me nervous that something is going to fail and send me into a major crash. Now, at 9,800 miles, it is vibrating more and more and even on short drives (<50 miles).

I'm at a standstill with Mazda. They couldn't fix it or wouldn't so they declared it normal. I live in Texas so the Lemon Law was written by car dealers... seriously. You actually have to take the Judge for a ride in the car to prove it's broken... geez!! No protection for me there :(

So, I'll either trade it or it will fail. I won't have it one mile longer than the warranty, that's for sure!!

You actually have to take the Judge for a ride in the car to prove it's broken... geez!! No protection for me there :(

Driving at highway speed

Judge: Seems fine to me.

You: Yes, well... you have to be at around 75-80mph to feel it.

Judge: Why would I, or YOU for that matter, be driving over the speed limit?

You: Well, it's sometimes necessary... for passing...

Judge speeds-up to 80mph for a mile and slows down.

Judge: Still didn't feel it.

You: Well, you have to be driving that fast for a couple of hours.

Judge: **just stares back at you with no expression**

You: Point-taken... sorry your honor.

Good luck with THAT! :)

I typically drive anywhere between 75 to 95mph on long road trips to Maine which take a couple/few hours depending on the gig. No vibration in mine (yet?).

Scott,
Yep... that's exactly how I envision it going. You can feel it right from a cold start but it doesn't really get rocking until it heats up.
Headline:
Judge kidnapped by angry Mazda owner and driven across 3 states and back to demonstrate vibration problem.

Vibration Idea

I would encourage you to buy as many lemons as you can and string them from every door handle on your car, then spend your spare time riding by the dealership with you dangling lemons as well as all over town. I am sure the dealer would want to give you a new car just to stop things, then do yourself a favor and get a FWD.

(strike)Let me know how it works out for you(strike)

Hi Maavalous, I have 25k miles on my 2007 CX-7 AWD GT (I bought it Dec '06) and I've drove it from Chicago to Florida keys (at 800 miles intervals); and from Chicago to North Carolina and to Washington, DC (20 hours non-stop trip) and many other small trips on the highway and I've NEVER noticed any vibration or strange sound at any highway speeds. I had a lot of other small problems (not related to the power-train) but all of them were in the service bulletins and were fixed (I hope).

Lucky me - I just came back from 600 mile trip and right after the 450th mile the vibration started. Exactly between 45 and 70-75 mph :mad:.
Did somebody learn more about this issue?

I am stuck with a 2008 GT AWD (bought in April-08) and it is exhibiting a "harmonic vibration" throughout the car at highway speeds. It is worst between 55 and 80 mph. It is still noticeable at any speed above about 45 mph. After 300 miles on the interstate, I feel like I'm sitting on a paint-shaker

Dealer has tried:
* Tire rotate and balance - multiple times with force balancing, nothing odd found... no help.
* 4-wheel alignment no change, but it was fairly far out of spec after only 1,500 miles
* Replacing the tail-shaft very minor improvement. Note they did NOT issue a TSB on this but admitted it is a known problem.
* "Special Lube" in the rear differential - no change.
* Some form of elaborate balancing on the new tail-shaft no real change

I have tried simulating the RPMs in different gears and the vibe only appears at highway speeds not highway RPMs. So, its not the motor itself.

So, I asked Mazda to trade with me for a new car of the same type. They came back and said that putting me in a new car would not solve the problem. That the vibration was normal in their opinion. I asked them for a refund gee, what a surprise that they would say NO.

Bottom line, Mazda knows the car has this vibration issue. After testing/identifying FOUR units that all exhibit the vibration they could not cure it and have concluded it is as designed. Let me tell you, I have test driven almost all the CUVs out there and NONE vibrate like this. It is NOT normal!

If you own a CX-7 AWD you may have this defect and not realize it... yet.
The vibration is evident at all speeds over about 45 mph but most evident at 65 to 75 mph. The kicker is if you typically drive less than a couple hours non-stop you may not have experienced the true problem. Once the vehicle has been driven for several hours non-stop the vibration escalates dramatically almost as if you had a square tire.

So, if you own an AWD and you sense any constant vibration on smooth roads at highway speeds, you have the issue. And, I'd like to ask for some help. I'd like you to reply to this post so I can determine how widespread this issue is and make Mazda aware of enough other cases that it will be an incentive to realize they can't ignore this issue. Also, if you are NOT having the issue then you help me to prove it is not normal as Mazda says.

So, it appears they have me where they want me for now... they got my money and they are NOT going to fix the problem. A case of the big corporation showing what they really think of the customer. I am truly glad that Mazda does not make heart defibrillators!!

I had the exact described problem on my 2004 Subaru Outback. CV joint needs to be replaced. Have them put it up on a lift, and put it in drive. You should be able to hear a clicking sound coming from one side or the other (maybe both). Whichever side is clicking needs the CV joint.

With me it was the rear right hub bearing. They replaced it in the dealership but I don't have the car yet to see if everything is OK. I hope it is :).

I had this problem with our '07 cx-7 touring, at first I thought it was the tires they had 30k miles on them. I replaced them about 2 months ago. I stillhad the same problem a vibration between 50-70 mph . So I took it in to the dealer before the warranty ran out and they replaced the drive shaft and the carrier bearing. Had the car back a week and all seems well with it.

Hi,

I have a 2007 cx7 UK model. now having problems with vibrations at 30-40 mph. had to change left rear bearings last year. no vibration problems before. Some say it is an ECU issue, could that be right?

are you AWD? could be the drive shaft. I've had mine replaced under warranty for vibrations.

Back