Year: 2008
Trim: GT
Tranny: Auto or Manual
Any extra accessories: Bumper guard, auto-dim mirror/ compass, all weather mats
Sale Tax Rate: too much
Price you paid for your Mazda5: $22,185 plus tax, title, fees

Year: 2008 - built 4/2008
Trim: Blue - Grand Touring
Any extra accessories: Bumper guard, Wheel locks, Dealer Tint, Cargo Net.
Sale Tax Rate: 7.25%
Price you paid for your Mazda5: $21,999 plus tax, title, fees $23.8K

Where: Roseville, CA
Trim: Grand Touring
Color: Galaxy Gray
Tranny: Auto
Any extra accessories: Wheel locks & Cargo Net
Price you paid for your Mazda5: $21,400 + tax & fees

Buying a Mazda5

Okay, so it's been about 10 years since I last bought a car so I am very rusty. Does anyone else get the feeling they are being ripped off regardless of the price negotiated?

I am looking at getting a Grand Touring model. I've gotten a few quotes of around $21K. After you add the taxes, tag, freight & destination it totals about like $22500 which doesn't make it such a great deal.

General thoughts? Am I hoping for too much wiggle room?

YM:2008 - Pick up last Jan 08
Mazda sport auto
Wellesley Mazda, MA
Basic
Final Ownership Cost:
27,000.00 included tax, financing, reg. etc...
13% APR....s***!!!

Okay, so it's been about 10 years since I last bought a car so I am very rusty. Does anyone else get the feeling they are being ripped off regardless of the price negotiated?

I am looking at getting a Grand Touring model. I've gotten a few quotes of around $21K. After you add the taxes, tag, freight & destination it totals about like $22500 which doesn't make it such a great deal.

General thoughts? Am I hoping for too much wiggle room?

I think we in Canada have more reason to think we are getting ripped off. A 2008 GT will cost over $30K after taxes, freight and PDI. $22K for an 08 GT is a great price!!

Another example of rip-off,

Trim: GT with leather
Any extra accessories: all weather matt, cargo cover, rust proof / paint protection
Sale Tax Rate: 13%
Price you paid for your Mazda5: $32,100 out of door (ouch), but I got 0% financing for 5 years.

Trim: Touring
Any extra accessories: all weather matt, Homelink mirror, rear stepplate.
Total Price before taxes: 20,049.00

Trim: Grand Touring
Any extra accessories: none.
Total Price: 21,735 Out the Door!

Model Yr: 08
Trim: GT (US)
Accessories: Autodim mirror w/compass & homelink; Sirius satellite radio
Color: Copper Red
Out the Door Price: $22,500.00

Accessories: Autodim mirror w/compass & homelink, rear bumper plastic thing, some cargo net that looks entirely useless
Color: Sunlight Silver
OTD Price: Just under 24K

They are getting pretty darn scarce in So-Cal, every dealer I spoke with said they were getting several calls about the 5's. Sort of takes some steam out of your bargaining power. I can count on one hand how many silver GT's are left in this entire area.

...and you got to love the 1700.00 worth of California sales tax. Still not as bad as the Canadian's though eh?

Accessories: Autodim mirror w/compass & homelink, rear bumper plastic thing, some cargo net that looks entirely useless
Color: Sunlight Silver
OTD Price: Just under 24K

They are getting pretty darn scarce in So-Cal, every dealer I spoke with said they were getting several calls about the 5's. Sort of takes some steam out of your bargaining power. I can count on one hand how many silver GT's are left in this entire area.

...and you got to love the 1700.00 worth of California sales tax. Still not as bad as the Canadian's though eh?

As the price of gas goes up, a 25-30 MPG 6-seater gets more and more attractive. I get lots of attention from big-SUV parents wanting to ditch their gas hog for something like this.

Great buy I say, although I do think the price is a little steep for a new Mazda5. That's SoCal for ya.

Accessories: Auto-dim mirror w/compass & home-link, rear bumper guard, wheel locks
Color: Gray Mica
Price: $21,300 (including 650 Destination Fee)
OTD Price: $23,600 (including 7% tax, MVR fees, Doc Fees, and all the details)

As the price of gas goes up, a 25-30 MPG 6-seater gets more and more attractive. I get lots of attention from big-SUV parents wanting to ditch their gas hog for something like this.

Great buy I say, although I do think the price is a little steep for a new Mazda5. That's SoCal for ya.

agreed, but considering we just dumped our LR3, we are WAY ahead of the game now.

i'm seriously thinking about buying another one for the wife.

Mod Year-2008
Trim-Touring with Auto Trans
Location-Lincoln Ca.
Accessories-Auto dim mirror with compass,Sirius satellite radio,Wheels Locks,Cargo net,Door edge guards,Bumper guard,Window shield,All Weather Floor Mats&reg carpet mats.
Color-Copper Red Mica With Sand inter
Out The Door Price-$22,300 cash

Last edited:
i see people asking what is the good price for new mazda 5..
i know it varies by region and trim level.. but let's post our paid price for other future/potential Mazda 5 buyers..

Year:
Tranny: Auto or Manual
Any extra accessories:
Sale Tax Rate: %

Price you paid for your Mazda5(including tax, title, fees)

I will start

Northern VA
Sport
Auto
Popular Equipment Package (PEP) (minus 6CD changer)
4%

$18700

edit: just received $180 from DMV saying, i over paid my sales tax (1%).
now new OTD price is $18520

I'm getting ready to buy a GT and was planning on using S-plan pricing, which should be at invoice. When I look at some of the prices paid here, though, they look better than invoice. I have not seen any incentives on the 5s (other than financing), so I assume that either these prices include a trade-in or that negotiating on a 5 can get under invoice (which seems very remarkable to me given their apparent popularity!). If so, I may want to forgo on the S-plan and see what I can try to get otherwise).

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts and inputs... thanks everyone!

I also had the S-plan option. It would've cost more $ to use. Once I negotiated my price, I asked if my price would be better with S-plan. They said it would be what the S-plan price is. About 1000 higher then I paid. Go figure!

Silicon Valley, California
2008 Sport
Auto
Golden Sand (Green, if I trust my eyes) / Sand Interior
No options
$18,484.00 (includes $650 dest. fee) -- used AAA buying service, $100 over "invoice"
Financed at 36 mos/1.9%

Comment: For the past two months, Sand interior inventory for Sport has been non-existant in Northern California. Was finally ready to buy a Grey/black from local dealer, went to internet before appointment to document how many other dealers had the same Gray/black in stock for negotiation power. Noticed that a nearby dealer was suddenly showing Green/Sand in stock, VIN was very very new. Called the dealer, he checked his computer, said car was at port in San Diego but allocated to him. Went to dealer later that day, did the deal. Picked up the car 5 days later after it had arrived and PDI.

Back