Transmission Fluid Change

I believe Mazda says either 60k or 75k, but IMO I would change it out every 30k. Mazda3 autos are known to break down the tranny oil sooner because of high temps.

Thanks, my car is close to hitting 25k, and I wasn't sure if that was time to do it or not.

Most all manufacturers including Mazda do not recommend periodic fluid/oil changes for their transmissions. Some exceptions are 4x4 off road vehicles.

Clifton

Transmission fluid isn't exposed to the combustion process like motor oil, however it can break down if it is overheated. In automatics overheated fluid can be detected by smell, contaminated fluid will change color.

I'm not saying transmission fluid should not be changed, just stating that most manufacturers do not schedule periodic fluid/oil changes for their transmission or differential. I think the last new car I had that recommended changing transmission fluid/oil was about 30years ago.

Clifton

Transmission fluid isn't exposed to the combustion process like motor oil, however it can break down if it is overheated. In automatics overheated fluid can be detected by smell, contaminated fluid will change color.

I'm not saying transmission fluid should not be changed, just stating that most manufacturers do not schedule periodic fluid/oil changes for their transmission or differential. I think the last new car I had that recommended changing transmission fluid/oil was about 30years ago.

Clifton

Yes but our transmission runs very hot and breaks down the transmission fluid. People have reported on ************, that their oil at 12k was very very black and have a burnt smell. I would like to post the link but this site doesn't allow you to post outside links...

Clifton

Yes but our transmission runs very hot and breaks down the transmission fluid. People have reported on m3f, that their oil at 12k was very very black and have a burnt smell. I would like to post the link but this site doesn't allow you to post outside links...

I'm not trying to defend the no change policy. If transmission fluid is turning black and has a burnt smell, it should have been changed earlier.

I haven't experienced that problem with my Protege 5. I drained the fluid from the pan at around 60k miles and it looked like new fluid from a bottle.

My 08 Mazda 3 has a little over 9 k and the fluid looks OK on the dipstick, it's too new to say what may happen later.

I think if the fluid is getting too hot and breaking down the best way to prevent problems is to install a good quality oil cooler. Some damage has already occurred after the oil has turned black and smells, a good oil cooler should prevent that. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to install a cooler on a Mazda 3.

Clifton

Last edited:
i just changed my automatic tranny fluid, my car has 55,000 miles on it and the oil was burnt and brown. there were metal shavings all over the magnet in the pan. i'll be changing it every 30k from now on. mazda told me at 60k to change it, but i gotta believe the high tempts tend to break it down much faster than that.

Back