How-To: Swap Out Gauge Cluster or Change Gauge Lights

808MP5

Contributor
:
GT3076R Pro5
Hello,
This is my first how-to so give me a break... I am going to show you how to swap out your gauge cluster for a Canadian Guage Cluster. Although it isn't necessary to switch out PCB boards it is recommended if you want to keep your current mileage displayed on your vehicle (which i believe is the law). This could also be a good how-to on changing your lights bulbs in your guage cluster also. Ok on with the How-To.

Things you will need:
1. A Needle Nose Pliers
np500_large.jpg

2. A Phillips Screw Driver (a short one to keep it safe and simple)
no-1-phillips_large.jpg

3. A Gauge Cluster
anbar007_large.jpg

Ok Now This Is What You Need To Do:
Remove The Plastic Surround
1. Start By Taking Out The Two Screws Holding The Plastic Surround. Once You Get The Two Screws Out, Gently Pull The Plastic Surround Out. I Started By Pulling At The Top First. The Bottom Of The Surround Is Held On By Clips So A Little Force Maybe Necessary.
3_large.jpg

2. Once That Is Off You Will See Three Screws Holding The Gauge Cluster In Place. One At The Top And Two At The Bottom. After You Get The Three Screws Out, Pull The Gauge Cluster Out Just A Little.
9_large.jpg
10_large.jpg

3. Once You Pull The Gauge Cluster Out Just A Little You Will See Three Clips. Two On The Left And One On The Right. Carefully Disconnect The Clips. (A Flat Head Screwdriver Maybe Helpful).
11_large.jpg
2_large.jpg

4. Ok Now That You Got The Clips Disconnected You Can Pull Out The Entire Gauge Cluster. Here Comes The Fun Part. There Are Four Screw Holding The White Plastic To The Back Of The Gauge Cluster Covering The PCB Board. Remove These Four Screws... Theres Also Two Little Clips On The Side Also Holding The White Plastic. Just Pry Them Off.(those two brown things and all those little black things are your gauge lights, simple to take out just twist and pull)
12_large.jpg

5. Once You Get Those Screws Out There Are A Bunch Of Other Screws You Have To Remove (its advised that you remember where the screws came from because there are two different sizes).
4_large.jpg

6. The PCB is almost ready to be taken off. You have to remove the six silver screw(these are for your temp/fuel needles).
6_large.jpg

7. Ok The Last Thing You Have To Do To Seperate The PCB Board Is Get Your Pliers And Bend These Four Clips Straight. (When you get them kinda straight you can push them in a little, this will help with seperating the PCB from the gauge needles).
1_large.jpg
7_large.jpg
8_large.jpg

8. Now You Can Gently Pull The PCB Board Off From The Gauge Cluster. Once Removed It Looks Like This.
13_large.jpg

9. Last And Final Step.... Everything You Just Did But In Reverse.
anbar012_large.jpg

So why did you take off the PCB? The lights twist out from the back. You are done after step 4...

Also, which LED's did you use? Night pics?

didn't use different lights... still the stock ones..

i switched out the board because the mileage is on it. I changed mine to a Canadian Mazdaspeed cluster... It's in KMH instead of MPH... also the Canadian clusters odometer was in KM... Plus i think it's the law that you have to have "YOUR" current mileage on your cluster.

not really a clear pic... but doesn't really matter cuz it's stock bulbs
bcv03_large.jpg

and a day shot
07087003_large.jpg

If you look closely at the pics in the how to you will notice that the speedometer is in KMH... blows ppl's mind when im going 60 and there like are we really going 100

Back