car shaking at low rpm??

alexelie

:
protege5 red
the car is shaking at low rpm, like when i start from a stop or if i rev it in neutral. Its shaking quit a lot, the steering is shaking and the dash...not shaking for too long just just at very low rpm.Its not shaking at idle. I have a muffler that is quite loud, i dont know if that has anythign to do with that?

idle is crappy, i think ur gona have to do some cleaning to the egr or sumthin.
more members will tell ya whats up as they have more years with this car.
im only 1 year in. still learning.

does it just shake or do the rpms drop when it shakes like it's going to stall. also, auto or stick. the only thing I can think right off the bad is that the fs-de has egr issues, and a revised egr valve was mande, however most have solved their problems (including me) by just removing it and cleaning with brake-clean.

i have a 5-speed. Its hard to explain, when you go from a complete stop and you dont give enough gas and the car is working to not stall, it shakes. The rpm doesnt seems to drop or anything it just shakes because its working hard i think. Pretty much like if you are going at about 20mph in fifth gear and pushing the gas all the way. I know its normal to work hard but its shakes to much, like the steering wheel and the dash start to shake like crazy for about .5, 1 sec,by the time i pass a certain rpm then it stops.

Where are your RPMs when you leave a stop? This car doesn't have a lot of torque down low, so you might just be letting out the clutch at too low RPMs. When driving conservatively, I rev to 1500-1750 and don't have this problem.

check your motormounts.
i had similar problems minus the idle, but when i drove at low rpms car would shake alot, and it turned out to be motormounts...but from what ur saying my car dint do as much as urs.

yup, this is a pretty common thing for the p5. It's a combination of no torque/power in the lower range and poor motor mounts. You really have to give it some gas on take off or it feels like the car is gonig to shake itself apart. Check your mounts and consider replacing them with aftermarket ones. Make sure the engine is tuned up and running well cause the more power lost on this car the more often this will happen.

If you have done all this the next thing to look at depending on the age of the car and how you drive is the clutch. If your clutch is work or misaligned you can get pretty some pretty rough shaking on take off.

Last edited:
yeah maybe i dont give enough gas for the power but even in neutral when i give some gas, i get some shake at low rpm. It seems to get better when the car warms up but still have some. I understand it doesnt have a lot of torque but in neutral lol. So its possibly motor mounts? Also, my car rattles a lot, like from everywhere when its cold. Is it common for p5? It stops when the car is warm tho. Possibly due to the fact that we get realy cold weather here in canada(-30c this week).

yeah maybe i dont give enough gas for the power but even in neutral when i give some gas, i get some shake at low rpm. It seems to get better when the car warms up but still have some. I understand it doesnt have a lot of torque but in neutral lol. So its possibly motor mounts? Also, my car rattles a lot, like from everywhere when its cold. Is it common for p5? It stops when the car is warm tho. Possibly due to the fact that we get realy cold weather here in canada(-30c this week).

Where do you live in Canada? When I drove in my p5 in the winter everything rattled....and the power windows would be stuck closed too.......

EDIT. Come to think of it...most things on my P5 rattle in the summer too ;)

this happens to me too. same exact problem...
i live in ny.. although its 'cold' its only about -17C or 0F for those of you who are too lazy to google the conversions.

Back