Daytime Running Lights

Following the supplied directions, the module was very easy to install. I mounted the module on the driver's side rail with a single screw in the engine compartment near the relay box. There are only (5) wires that are required to connect in the wire harness: BLACK to any suitable ground; RED to the positive terminal lug inside the engine compartble fuse box (which is directly next to the relay box). Referring to the factory wiring diagram, the high beam circuit uses a RED/BLACK wire and the low beam circuit uses a RED/PURPLE wire both of which are lcoated behind the driver's side headlamp unit. There is a wire loom which is easily acessible by removing the plastic fasteners and screws which hold the inner wheel wheel splash guard in place. Removal of the entire wheel well splash guard is not necessary. You only need to turn the wheel in to gain access to the area behind the headlamp unit. You need to cut back the black plastic wire wrap to expose these two wires which are contained inside a wire loom which goes to the mylar connector mounted on the underside of the headlamp unit. The WHITE wire of the module gets connected to the high beam wire (RED/BLK) with a supplied wire tap. THe ORANGE wire of the module gets connected to the low beam wire (RED/PURPLE) with a supplied wire tap. You can then wrap everything in electric tape to restore to factory standards. Finally after all connections are secured, the GREEN wire must to wired to a 12v source which is live when the ignition key is in the run position. I used wire tap on a suitable wire inside the aforementioned engine compartment fuse box which works perfectly and does not cause any excessive current draw as the GREEN wire is merely a sense wire for the DRL. The whole process should take you less than 45 minutes and will give you complete DRL functionality in compact installation and enable you to qualify for a insurance discount on your policy.
I just ordered this part from Terminal Supply and noticed that the module includes an optional wire connection to the crank switch. I just wanted to know whether you used it in your installation or grounded it as per instruction? Thanks.

Drl

I added the Hamsar DRL to my CX-9 and I like it a lot. The 60% reduced high beam lights are the perfect intensity. I only wired up the low beam and high beam wires (I didn't use the blue or yellow wires). The green wire was a little tricky, trying to find an easy to access ignition-live wire. I ended running it to the fuse box above the radiator and connected it to the pink heated-seats wire. I ended up mounting the DRL module to the top of my main fuse box lid, on small stand-offs so it's about 1/4" above the lid to let air circulate underneath (just in case it got hot).

I'm will be adding a photocell switch (directed electronics 545T) soon that will give me the auto-light functionality (my Touring doesn't have it factory). I'm going to wire it up a little differently so it essentially switches on the lights at the relay, instead of controlling the lights directly. So I'll have the DRL and the auto-lights, all for about $70.

There are a lot of little two-lane roads here in N. Va. and I feel more comfortable having DRLs so the other drivers can better see my car. The main reason I don't like "just turning on the headlights all the time" is the bulbs burn out so fast. My Volvo S80 has the lights on all the time and I have to replace the head lamps every 6 months. Also the dashboard lighting is different from day to night. If I had the lights on all the time, I'd still have to push the dash switch to change the instrument light intensity.

I finally installed the Hamsar DRL module and found it easier getting to the wire loom by taking out the air filter component instead of going through the wheel well. Also, the easiest way to connect the GREEN wire is by tapping it into the PINK wire (seat warmer) in the same location as the other two wires (WHITE and ORANGE).

where did you guys purchase the DRL from? I went to the website, but it does not apprear there is a section to buy the DRL's?

where did you guys purchase the DRL from? I went to the website, but it does not apprear there is a section to buy the DRL's?
Call Terminal Supply Co. in Troy, MI at 800-989-9632 and ask for Deeann ~ The HS-45035 sells for $61.10 plus tax and shipping.

Leaving the headlights on - Sport Model

I have the Sport model, so my choices for the headlights are; Off, Parking Lights, and On. I don't have DRLs and there appears to be an error in the manual with regards to the lights. It states that if the lights are left ON, they will turn off automatically after 30 seconds IF the ignition switch is in the ACC or Lock position. I tried this tonight. I left the headlights on, turned off the car, removed the key, and locked the doors.....then I waited.....and waited.....and waited. After nearly 4 minutes, I gave up. I figured they would eventually go Off when the battery died. This is probably the biggest pet-peeve for me as I prefer to have my lights on at all times and would prefer not to have to worry about turning them off or on. My Subaru, for which I had a laundry list of pet-peeves, would allow me to leave the switch for the Lights ON constantly. If I turned off the car, the lights went out - so, I never had to touch the switch. I wish the CX9 was like that.

In the rain the other night, I was driving down the road and flashed a car that was pulling out of a side street as they were coming out a little too far, so I flashed my lights at them to get them to stop. Shortly after that, an on-coming car flashes me. "Why is he flashing me?......Oh crap". I had neglected to turn my lights on. (boom08)
Serves me right - for all the times I've called other people "IDIOTS!!!" for driving without lights! (smash)

So, has anyone else with a Sport model tried leaving their lights on and removing the key? I assume the manual is in error, but maybe it really IS just my car that doesn't do what it's supposed to do...???

Can I ask a dumb question? I'm not trying to be an ass, either. It's a real question.

Why are DRL's are so important to have that you are willing to spend a lot of money and tear into the car's wiring just to add them? What do they provide that you can't live with out?
We can't re-register a US car in Canada without them.

DRL Conversion

I believe DRL is the high beam running at 1/3 intensity.
The circuitry of CDN model is wired differently from US model.
There is no easy fix for DRL. If you are serious about this, it would be a big task to take on.
If I were you, I would probably just use my low-beam. CX9 has auto-off head-lights anyway.

For any car lighting questions, I go here. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html
He has a DRL set up for $24US

Er ~ I believe it's $42! And the Hamsar DRL module is much less complicated and better constructed!

That would make me dysnumeric.....<g> (braindead)

Went to the Hamsar site - pretty impressive company -site sucks - (bang)

The Daniel Stern uses the turn signal lamps for DRL while Hamsar uses headlights. The only Hamsar that would work for my HID headlight set-up would be the 45060 that cuts the hi beams by 60% - might consider that if I could find the gd instruction sheet. :)

Hamsar less complicated? Better constructed? Beats me.

That would make me dysnumeric.....<g> (braindead)

Went to the Hamsar site - pretty impressive company -site sucks - (bang)

The Daniel Stern uses the turn signal lamps for DRL while Hamsar uses headlights. The only Hamsar that would work for my HID headlight set-up would be the 45060 that cuts the hi beams by 60% - might consider that if I could find the gd instruction sheet. :)

Hamsar less complicated? Better constructed? Beats me.
Here you go!

Attachments

• 45060.pdf
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,857
Isn't it easier, and cheaper just to turn your lights on when driving undivided roads? I'm just asking, because that's what I do.

Sometimes I forget-so what could be easier than starting the car and driving? :)
Cheaper? Don't think so with all lights on? Plus it gets me out of the house, in the garage and under the hood - all good things for me.

Design Tech Model #: 20013VA

I recently purchased this module on ebay for my 2009 CX-7.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I took it to car-toys for installation but they were unable to get this module to work. I first heard about this module on an Acura forum. I was impressed with the write-ups and actually ended up buying this module for my TL. I took my TL to a local place where I use to live and they got it to work just fine. Both the TL and the CX-7 have HID's for their low beams and use 9005 hi beams. Has anyone used the Design-Tech DRL module or have any advice as I would like to install DRL's without having to buy a new module?

Back