Engine Cranks but Does Not Start

highrpm

I need your guys help. I bought an '02 Protege 5 recently with a seized 2.0L motor. I tried to crank it, but nothing. I actually smelled a slight electrical burning odor probably from the starter trying to turn that seized motor.

Anyway, I bought a replacement short block. I swapped over the timing drive and intake/exhaust manifolds. So far so good.

I put everything back together, and the engine cranks but doesn't start. It sound like it's catching a little bit, but eventually the plugs get flooded and it doesn't even make that catching sound.

I checked the timing and it's fine. I checked the crank sensor with an ohmmetter and it seems fine. I get spark. I get fuel. What else could be wrong?

The only possibility I see now is that when I (and the old owners) tried to start the seized motor, maybe that burning smell and electrical load took out the ECU.

Any ideas?

i'm having the same problem with my build. got everything together and all it does is cranks. i ran a compression test and found out that my #2 is leaking baaaad (100psi as opposed to like 160 or so). Might be worth a try to check that out maybe.

Back