p0171 p0300 Codes

Laramie

My check engine light came on when my car was at about 70,000 miles. I read the code and found a p0171. After searching the threads on here it sounded like it might be a vacuum leak. I've since replace the 3 vacuum lines that go to the BOV, wastegate, and I guess the manifold. Also, I've cleaned my EGR valve (which wasn't that dirty), my MAF sensor, and IAC (also not very dirty).

After all that I'm still getting the p0171 code and occasionally the p0300. When I get the p0300 the engine bogs down for anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds and then starts running fine again.

I am able to blow air through the vacuum line connected to the wastegate, but I was wondering if I'm just blowing more than 6psi. I'm thinking my next step is to replace the wastegate, but I wanted to get a more informed opinion before going that far.

Also sometimes I get fuel cut, especially in 5th gear if I'm at WOT. I used to not get this before I started getting the codes. I've noticed a sound coming from the engine upon acceleration that sounds like something flapping in the breeze very quickly like when a flag is popping in a strong wind accept faster.

The car is simply a stock 2003.5 MSP.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

No comment i was getting p0171 for about three years turned out to be my egr. P0300 random misfire. good luck mine came on for that when i cracked the ring landing on #3 and #4 cylinder.

that flapping sound that you're talking about makes it sound like your car is detonating... u may have a fuel problem somewhere...you definitely do NOT wanna detonate at all...it can blow your engine! get it looked at somewhere. i would hate to see your engine go. sorry i cant be of any help with this topic...as im still trying to figure out my p0171 problem! tryi cleaning your primary 02 sensor. which is the one on your header(exhaust manifold)

Problem Fixed

I finally got around to replacing the WGA with the 6psi model from ATPTurbo. It took about 3 hours because most of the work was done by myself. Getting the rear nut and e-clip off and on was a real b****. The old WGA had a huge air leak in the diaphram.

The car runs better at idle and the check engine light has not returned in two days.

However, the sound I described earlier is still happening. I think I described it poorly so I'll give it another go. The engine only makes the sound when it's cold and the noise increases as I accelerate. Usually it goes away in about 5 minutes after starting the car. It has an airy quality to it like rapid puffs of air are coming out of the engine. It has been doing this for quite some time so maybe it isn't anything other than an older engine. I do have 80k on it.

Thanks guys!

Yah I had that same problem with the torn actuator. All fixed now. The noise you hear is the manifold shutter valves. I read somewhere that the dealer has a kit to lessen the noise some so that it doesnt annoy the customer as much, but it will not totally go away. Mine is doing the exact thing and its pretty cold here. At first I thought the top end was failing, but it turns out that it's normal. There is also a TSB from the dealer that states the shutter valve can loosen from the intake manifold and cause a noise and a flutter. Hope that helps in some way.

Back