Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blinking check engine light and limp mode?

2003.5 MSP

Blinking check engine light and limp mode?

Hey everyone I need help my car is acting up crazy bad! It usually happens when I let the car just idle to warm up in the driveway. I'll start the car and it will run just fine but when I come back in 10 minutes my check engine light is blinking and the car wont accelerate for crap! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong here thanks!

2003 Mazda6 3.0L Speed Yellow

Can you get a code reader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jboost View Post
    Hey everyone I need help my car is acting up crazy bad! It usually happens when I let the car just idle to warm up in the driveway. I'll start the car and it will run just fine but when I come back in 10 minutes my check engine light is blinking and the car wont accelerate for crap! Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong here thanks!

2003.5 MSP

I can go to pep boys or somewhere to get it read but usually by the time I get there thecheck engine light is gone

TRU-BOOST THIS BITCH!!! axisboldaslove's Avatar

07 MS3 GT Heavily Modified

what mods do you have? it could help us determine your problem
    Building a GT4082R Setup W/ Forged Block

2003.5 MSP

Sri and a hotpipe

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

doesn't our ecu's store codes???even if the light isn't on yhou might be able to get it read

yellow '02 p5: tokico hp struts/springs lowering kit, adr phantom 17" wheels, intake mani w/vtcs removed and PNPed, sigmota cai, medieval mounts all around, mp3 ecu, msp rear brakes, mz6 front brakes,SS brake lines,Short shifter/bushings installed
    myspace
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: me?
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: i habe big boobs

Exactly what I was thinking, or just go to Walmart and buy a code reader for ~$60 and then read the code with it when it does flash.

Quote Originally Posted by bgibb68 View Post
    doesn't our ecu's store codes???even if the light isn't on yhou might be able to get it read

blinking check engine light = random misfires
    that means get the car off the road ASAP or you will burn up the cat and eat thousands of dollars fixing it!

it could mean many things, but usually vacuum leaks or even a bad EGR valve... it occurs for many people during the winter and it usually has been a bad EGR valve
    TheMAN
    '01 BJFP MT
    '05 BK3P HB AT

For Protege and Mazda3 info, come see the Protege FAQ

2003.5 MSP

Thank you for confirming my suspision I thought it was the egr since it happened during warm up idle

it might be a lot of trouble, but you may want to contact some of the canadian members to get the canadian EGR valve since you live in similar climate conditions as them as that EGR valve is definitely better for your area... it is different and not the same as the US one
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

There are some on eBay.. at least I would suspect they are "Canadian" EGR's since the seller lives in Canada..

nope
    all are original/US style ones
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Well damn.. I thought these were. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda...#ht_500wt_1382

They do look the same as the US ones, so looks like you're right. Any Canadians have a photo of your EGR?

2003.5 MSP

So does everyone agree that it is more than likely the egr? If this is the case I have an extended warrenty with a $100 deductable so I'll save myself the time and whole getting frozen in my garage during the minnesota winter and just bring it in lol. If it was summer I would do this myself but forget getting cold.

Another reason it looks like the EGR is that the car magically fixes itself once the car drops all the way down from running temp.

I called my dad and he said an air idle control fan or some sh!t like that anyone ever heard of such a device going bad on the MSP?

I am having this same problem on mine... I've pretty much tested and replaced every sensor in the car. Removed the EGR valve and checked it. Its working fine checked the cam and crank sensors, Ignition coils... everything. Put it back together and now it works like new again... The only thing i did was clean the battery terminals. They were excessively corroded. I dont know if that was the problem or i bumped something into working. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast