Remote Starter interference...?

CX7_Scott

:
CX-7 GT w/ Tech
I just ran into an issue earlier this week:

I went to start my car like I USUALLY do on cold winter days, about 10-minutes before leaving for work. I generally just walk-over to where I keep my keys in the house... pick-up the FOB and press twice... wait (listening) and will hear the horn "toot".

Well... no "toot"... I walk over to a window to look outside to see if the marker lights came on. Nope. So with keys in-hand, I press the button twice, but slower. Nothing. No lights, no toot, no starting.

Worried that I may have inadvertently left something on and killed the battery, I finish getting dressed and go out to my car. Started up fine when I turned-over the ignition.

So - I thought it may be the batteries in the FOB and just went to work.

While at work, I went online and ordered the replacement batteries. No big deal. Later, that afternoon, I decided to try the remote start from my office like I normally do - I am on the 5th floor of my building and I can see my car from my office window. It worked fine...! I figured, maybe it was a line-of-sight thing.

On my way home... stopped at the store to pick up some things... on my way back to the car, the remote-start worked as I was approaching the car from behind and the remote was in my coat pocket... I figured it must-have been a fluke that it didn't work.

---

Next morning (Wednesday)... I go to start the car before work. Nothing. The FOB isn't doing a thing. I went to the window, pointed it directly at it... nothing... went to the side-door and OPENED the door and stuck my arm out and tried it. Nothing.

I was perplexed

When I went to leave work... I tried it again from office. WORKED FINE...!!!
Waiting for me at home, was a package from UPS with the new batteries. I changed them. Tried the FOB. Nothing. *AUGH!!!* Tried everything.

I ran out for some last-minute items at the super-market.. and as I approached my car and tried the FOB... it WORKED!

---

So - basically... the FOB remote starter works EVERYWHERE except my HOUSE. Can there be some sort of new "interference" going on that messes-up the signal...? can someone's wireless router have an effect...? This is just too bizarre. It's worked flawlessly since buying the car over 2 years ago - now, for SOME reason, it won't work when I'm at my house.

HELP!

Hmm... We have wireless and remote starts and they work fine. What if you stand next to your car in your driveway, work then? Maybe someone is jamming signals in your area. Sounds strange but happens.

I stood right beside it in my driveway and it would NOT start remotely. I aimed it in every direction... pointed it at every part of the car... Nothing.

*Something* is going on... because like I said... It has worked everyplace else since I noticed this phenomenon.

I assume the KeyFOB is using RF for sending the signals to the car's receiver, is this correct? And if so, what is capable of disrupting RF signals like that?

I'd like to believe it's something inadvertent and unknown to whomever is causing it. Heck... I want to be sure it's nothing *I* did.

I'm not bright enough to know what could interfere with this stuff. :)

---

If I had the time and patience... I'd try moving my car 3-4 feet at a time out of my driveway until it was able to receive the signal... but honestly, that's not gonna happen. I am guessing that not very many people have experienced this.

Oh well...

Merry Christmas...!!!

Scott, that is indeed strange. I haven't encountered anything like that nor have I heard anyone with that problem. Try to park your car on a different spot around your house and see if it will have the same problem. Otherwise, sell your house and relocate LOL. Just kidding....

It got even more strange. It is not consistent @ home now. I tried it yesterday evening and it worked fine... so now, it seems that it's intermittent here at home. I'll figure this out one way or another... :)

I really have no clue. This afternoon... I went to move my car... nothing. It wouldn't remote-start. It's far from life threatening... but it is annoying to not understand *WHY* it's doing this.

It's been two weeks now and the issue is -gone- as far as I can tell. No clue what caused it nor what fixed it, but the past couple of weeks have been without incident.

Very strange, indeed.

Get this - We've already had the news come on and tell us that key fobs will not work as normal <today> because the military is doing some radio frequency testing. And sure as s***, while my remote didn't work, my wife's did. That was 2 summers ago.

Same thing has happened to me! I thought I was crazy. Will work everywhere else, but at home. I don't have a Mazda, I was googling to research this bizarreness and came across this thread. Pontiac G6 here with aftermarket starter that worked fine up until 12/30 and then nothing. Changed batteries - nothing. Went back to dealership and of course it works fine there and they're looking at me with raised eyebrows. Reluctantly, he followed me home and saw that the car won't start in my driveway. I'm in Ohio - 17* for a high today. Ya think it'd be nice to start my car from in the house?? Yup! My guy is researching - I'll post our findings (if any)

:bs:

I had the exact same situation as Scott on our 2010 CX-9. Exact same. I just got off the phone with the dealer and they had no clue. Works almost everywhere but in my driveway. Even worked in the road in front of the house.

I'll definitely repost is I figure it out.

remote starter interference

Hi Guys,

I have encountered this problem in my driveway with my cars too
and many of my buddies that drop by.....in my case it was my surveillance cameras...it even reduces the range of my garage door opener. I have 4 cameras. If I turn them off its all good....it is fun to watch unsuspecting drivers fudge with their fobs though ........somewhere between puzzled and dumbfounded 8^)

Back