Tightening the e-brake

:
2k2 Pro 5
Has anyone done it? my e-brake doesnt hold @ 1200rpms... it sounds simple so i dont feel like paying someone to do it...

pull the little plastic cover off around the handle and there is a 10mm nut on the side of the lever....tighten it

OPen the console door.
Put the brake ~only halfway up. IIRC.
Pull the rubber/plastic surround up and forward. It is a 'lip' at the bottom.

The bolt is on a long stud - use a deep well socket and long extension.

Tighten - but be sure to check that the brakes don't drag. Stop on a slight incline and see if the car will start to roll when you release the brakes. After driving awhile - feel the calipers - they should warm but not hot (compared to the front).

If you have to tighten the parking brake a lot and it still doesn't hold - you need to jack the rear end and check each caliper adjustment (the allen key you 'turn the pistons in with').

OK let me bring this back. I have tighten the bolt next to the handle until it is just about to start dragging. (ie. the max it can go) But it is still far from enough for me.

So the solution now is work on the caliper right? How do I do it? I don't mind to read some article if there is any.

Thanks

I do believe there is a 12mm nut on the back of the caliper you have to take off, under that nut there is an allen screw you can tighten. that will turn the piston so there is less travel and tightning the parking brake.

Hopefully this helps

This post was right on time... I just changed my calipers and rotors on my P5 and had no clue on how to adjust the e-brake. Thanks Guys!!!

Careful, adjusting the calipers and the E-brake are totally different. If you tighten the calipers they will always be tighter and therefor your brakes might drag. To tighten the E-brake you need to tighten the line that runs from the E-brake to the brakes I.E. tighten the nut in the console.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113741&highlight=E-brake

This is a how to on replacing your rear brake pads and rotors. While it doesn't explain how to tighten your e-brake it does show you how to adjust your calipers.

Lastly- IT IS A PARKING BRAKE! If you are trying to use it for something other than holding the car on a hill and in-gear it isn't designed to do it.

If you crank it all down too much (drifting. yo.) I fear you will either wear/overheat your brakes (dragging) or you will break the cable or both...

Shiii...don't tell people that's the reason I need it tight.

I do worry that mine can't hold the car on the hill though, but you can always use the gear i guess

So, if I already tight the 12mm bolt until it is about to drag and still not enough for me, should i put my attention onto the caliper or that is all i got?

You need to ensure the entire system is working properly.

1. Jack and check the caliper adjustments. Tighten the allen screws until the brakes drag. Back off a bit until the wheel can be turned easily.

2. Adjust the 10mm bolt until after the handle is released it starts to cause the wheels to drag. Back off until they don't.

This is as good as they can be.

Last edited:
You need to ensure the entire system is working properly.

1. Jack and check the caliper adjustments. Tighten the allen screws until the brakes drag. Back off a bit until the wheel can be turned easily.

2. Adjust the 10mm bolt until after the handle is released it starts to cause the wheels to drag. Back off until they don't.

This is as good as they can be.

Question; When you are adjusting the allen bolt on the caliper should the e-brake handle be up(engaged) or down?

ok so i was trying to adjust my ebrake today for about 45 minutes to no avail. I tried with the allen bolts on the rear calipers and i ever played with the screw on the inside in the console and nothing seems to work for me.

Anyone have any other suggestions or just keep playing with the allen bolt?

also, should the allen bolts be able to slide almost out of the hole that they are in?

you probably stripped your screw if nothing is happening. and yes i stripped mine and there are no replacements for it. you need a new caliper. but my brakes still work fine. i just gotta adjust the ebrake

Back